Trinity 2 To 1 33mm

STEEDA

Hello, I'm new to the group and I have recently purchased a new 04 Banshee. I've owned 2 97's in the past and had no trouble jetting them, but for this one I wanted more bottom and mid so I could tooly arond with my daughter on her 50cc. Anyway got the 2 to 1 33mm from Trinity, FMF SST's and a 3 x 6 K&N with Outerwear. My elevation is 5300 Ft. and I'm having a heck of a time trying to get the jetting right. Trinity sent it with 180 main and a 52 pilot with the clip setting set to the center of the 5 settings. This setting has the plug black and powdery on the ceramic ( top to bottom ) ground in totally black and wet and black running out of the silencers. This has no bottom end at all and hesitates baddly till 1/4. I dropped the main to a 175 and the pilot to a 42 set air screw to 2 turns out and I have alot more bottom but now it hesitates from 0 to about 1/8 then runs good till 1/4 then boggs again till 3/8 throttle then look out is kickin! at this setting my plugs are half powdery black on one side and pure white on the other side split right down the center of the plug, electrode is black to base and oil still running down the back of my silencers. The way I'm reading this is I'm too rich with oil out the back and black on the plug but also too lean with the electode black so far down and one side of the electrode completely white. What do you guys think? I know I'm alot higher in elevation.

Thanks for listening, sorry so long, but I've got a week into jetting it and this is driving me crazy!

STEEDA banghead

Check out this keihin carb tech document from Duncan Racing.

http://www.duncanracing.com/techfaq/Tech_k...n-jetting.phtml

Since your problem is idle to 1/8 it's your pilot air screw settings and that faq tells you how to set it easily. When I first got my cv carb I took it out and whenever I pushed the throttle it would bog and then like a lightswitch unload. You just have to play with it and you'll get it.

Dammit! two weeks ago I was 48 or 50!

Texas 4 U!

Yep, I was at 52, well still am, but need to back off some.

Oh, put your needle in the 4th clip from the top/blunt end, that should help the area of your hesitation. How is it starting, how many kicks?

As for starting it kicks over first or second kick, I dropped to the forth clip this morning and it's bogging all over the power band and oil is really running out the back. I spoke with a local shadetree expert ( seems to be the guy everyone speaks with ) on the jetting and he's suggesting two clips from the blunt end and try to lean out the mid range. If that isn't enough then drop the pilot some more. the next pilot down is a 40, I really don't notice a difference no matter where the air screw is. I'm running between 1 1/2 to 2 turns out right now. You guys think this is right? I don't want to lean it out and seize it! My Wife would have my hide BIG TIME! How quickly can I dammage this thing? I'ts new and has maybe 3-4 hours on it now.

Thanks for your replies, I know this 2-1 subject has been talked to death but your input really helps.

STEEDA B)

he's suggesting two clips from the blunt end and try to lean out the mid range.

Absolutely, if you went one clip richer and it got worse, then try one the other way. Go to the 2nd clip and see how goes. It doesn't hurt anything to try, and if it runs good then that's great. Leave your air screw 1.5 to 2 turns out for now. I'd leave your pilot alone for now, especially if it's starting good and your problem is more in the 1/8 - 1/2 throttle, that is needle territory.

Good luck and check back.

Scott

If it runs strong at wide open throttle then the mains are fine, if it only does this at 1/8-1/4 throttle then its the needles. If it hesitates before powerband, then your lean and need to raise the needles. If you ride at 1/4 throtte for some time and it starts to spit and sputter like its loading up, then your too rich and need to lower the needle.....As far as the pilots, it should start easy when warm and possibly need the choke when cold....If it starts on one kick when cold and starts hard when warm, then drop the size of the pilots...

Dammit! two weeks ago I was 48 or 50!

Texas 4 U!

Yep, I was at 52, well still am, but need to back off some.

Oh, put your needle in the 4th clip from the top/blunt end, that should help the area of your hesitation. How is it starting, how many kicks?

Yeah, did a rebuild of the carb...don't know what happen, but, I'm going w/flow..

was a little rich... But, it was fine w/me...

Doing some tuning & testing yesteday, ran into a guy w/t6's ,371...185lbs cylinders

16cc domes,running aviator fuel....10 $ gallon "dammit" expensive!...

To my disbelief "spelling", when we had to get off of it we were side by side! :headbang:

That thing just sounded and smelled fast! :bolt:

But, still working on the carb, just about got it though!