Needle Clip Position

KRMit

How can you tell you've got the clip in the best position? There's no way I know of to do a plug check. Where I had them before it would accelerate like a demon, but was hard to keep at a stable speed. I moved it one notch richer and now it's a little more controllable but there's bottom-end hesitation.

Yeah, clip position seems to be rider preference to me. I went back to the 4th clip from the blunt end (1 clip richer than stock) and it seams like it has a lot more power at 1/2 throttle when the RPM's are already higher where your already in the power band range but might not pull as hard in the lower rpms and get you to the power band RPM range. I'm doing mostly sand doon riding right now so I figure I'll generally be riding and even cruising around in higher rpms. It also depends a little on the pilot. If you tune the bike with a smaller pilot you may need to add a little bit of needle (richen it up a clip) and visa versa to smooth out the transition from pilot to needle circut. There's more than one way to skin a cat so I'd say tune it to the way that you prefer the engine performance characteristics for your riding preference. The difference in the 3rd or 4th clip isn't going to cause you to run too lean or too rich so I wouldn't wory about that. Too lean/rich pilots or mains is what will cause issues.

Yeah, clip position seems to be rider preference to me.  I went back to the 4th clip from the blunt end (1 clip richer than stock) and it seams like it has a lot more power at 1/2 throttle when the RPM's are already higher where your already in the power band range but might not pull as hard in the lower rpms and get you to the power band RPM range.  I'm doing mostly sand doon riding right now so I figure I'll generally be riding and even cruising around in higher rpms.  It also depends a little on the pilot.  If you tune the bike with a smaller pilot you may need to add a little bit of needle (richen it up a clip) and visa versa to smooth out the transition from pilot to needle circut.  There's more than one way to skin a cat so I'd say tune it to the way that you prefer the engine performance characteristics for your riding preference.  The difference in the 3rd or 4th clip isn't going to cause you to run too lean or too rich so I wouldn't wory about that.  Too lean/rich pilots or mains is what will cause issues.

That's really what I wanted to know. I'll probably go back one clip leaner. Since going richer the top RPMs kinda gurgle unless I have the airbox lid off. As long as that won't make it blow up. I was trying to make the powerband more controllable. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait for the Trinity CV kit.

Too rich of a needle will gurgle or spit and sputter, too lean will make it more hesitant....Ducman hit it right on the nose..Try different combos w/ the pilots and needles..most of the time you can work out the bogs....I like leaner pilots and richer needles, but others like the opposite... whatever works for you....

I did a little riding today before leaning back out the needle. It's definately too rich. Anyway, in either position the throttle seems "twitchy". I can really only ride up to about 1/4 throttle, everything after that is only good for drag racing or spinning my tires. I've never ridden another Banshee so I dunno if it's just mine or what. Is this the way it is for everyone? Once my bike hits the powerband the RPMs skyrocket, even if I don't push the throttle further than halfway. I mainly do a lot of jumping and that twitchy throttle is hazardous to my health. 4 strokes can hold a steady speed and nail a jump the same every time. I'm hit or miss depending on how I blip the throttle on the ramp. I'm hoping the Trinity setup will make it more rideable.

You need low end or midrange pipes...Any stock or high rev pipe will act like that...the 2 into 1 carb setup might help, I have no experience w/ it, but I do know the pipes is what makes the power curve...

KRMit, my shee is very similar to that. It does feel real twitchy and has sensitive throttle response up until when the powerband hits, and then it hits HARD. I have to agree with Banchetta, the pipes are what I think make it that way. If we were runnin some PT's or a 2 into 1, I'm sure it would be smoother. ;)

Also KRMit, I tried sending you a PM but it said your inbox/sent items was full. banghead

Sorry about that.  I just freed up some space so feel free to PM me.  ;)

Does the advanced timing have anything to do with this?  Would things mellow down any if I backed down to +2 or stock?

Cool..I don't know about the degree key, I don't have one and mine still does it. Kinda funny cause I was thinkin of getting one to see if it would help fix it! LOL, I guess I know my answer! Check your PM ;)

I have the low end/mid range pipes so my power isn't so "light switch" in its delivery, but when I added the noss head it did seem to smooth out the power quite a bit probably because there was much more torque down low than before and made it much better to cuise around at lower RPMs and 1/8 to 1/2 throttle. That might help you out a bit.

So, you're not really supposed to be able to cruise around in the powerband?  It's strictly for acceleration?

Maybe your problem has more to do with traction. 2 strokes love to spin the wheels and the RPMs shoot up with the wheel spin. In the sand once you are up to speed like in say 3rd year it gets pretty hard to spin the tires and the rpms cant just shoot up real fast because the wheels wont just spin freely like nobbies on dirt. Maybe try a larger diameter tire size or go up a tooth on the front sproket to help trackability.

I think it is fine to cruiz around in a higher RPM where if you were to give it alot of throttle you'll be in the power band, but if your in the power band how are you going to curise around because your going to be accelerating? I guess how do you define power band?

Maybe your problem has more to do with traction.  2 strokes love to spin the wheels and the RPMs shoot up with the wheel spin.  In the sand once you are up to speed like in say 3rd year it gets pretty hard to spin the tires and the rpms cant just shoot up real fast because the wheels wont just spin freely like nobbies on dirt.  Maybe try a larger diameter tire size or go up a tooth on the front sproket to help trackability. 

I think it is fine to cruiz around in a higher RPM where if you were to give it alot of throttle you'll be in the power band, but if your in the power band how are you going to curise around because your going to be accelerating?  I guess how do you define power band?

Well, up to 1/4 to 1/2 throttle cruising is fine, but there's a lack of power for jumping and such. At about 1/3 throttle there's a slight hesitation (which may be due to carb sync or needle being too lean), then the power kicks in and either the tires spin or I take off like a scalded dog. Problem is once the powerband kicks in it'll rev to the moon. Even if I only hold it 1/2 throttle the RPMs keep skyrocketing.