D.i.d. Chain....

Alright, me n my buddy are rebuilding my drive train and the repair link is all wierd we can get the orings to compress, thus we cant put on the clip. how can we get these together?

Yeah, your probably used to the master links that the plate just pops right on the pins. The press fit ones can be a little tough to get on, the right set of vice grips, the ones with a flat bite, not angled, or a "C" clamp works really easy to clamp the plate on. Sometimes you can get a regular masterlink that will work the same, but never try to use a masterlink off another chain to put it together. I ruined a new $120 chain on my first streetbike doing that cause I couldn't get get the press fit master link on :shootself: came off at 80mph too!

Seriously, I know you think you have it all the way, but it's not going. If it's not pressed right, it's a serious bitch. Best thing to do is get a $15 chain press, or get a pair of good sized vice grips and grind a deep v into the top jaw, that way you can press around the little post thing and get it super tight, still chain press is the way to go.

Later.

I've always just pressed the plate on with my fingers and then snapped the master link clip in with a pair of plyers.

No CEJ the DID O-ring chains are a real sonfabitch to get together. I had the same troubles with a DID chain, what I ended up doing was...... just not using O-rings on one side of the masterlink link........ If I remember correctly, there are 4 O-rings on a masterlink link, just put the two O-rings on one side of the masterlink and dont put the other sides O-rings on, keep em as spares or sell em on ebay :D

The correct way is with a chain press tool, but if you wanny get the chain on now, just remove 2 of those O-rings to give you the room to get your clip on the link.

One more thought.... if you remove 2 o-rings.... and your chain comes flyin apart while your WOT up a big hillclimb....... dont hold it against me :):ph34r:

you cant squeeze it from the middle you need two sets of vise grips on the out sides of the link if you try to compress the middle it will never go, and if the clip doesnt snap and catch the ring on the master your chain will come off, meats idea works well, or the cheap tsubaki chains work great.......ive had to leave the vise grips on, while i fought the clip on, they can be a pain in the ass......

If you have to cut a DID chain save the outer link plate that you grind the rivits off. When you go to put the masterlink in put this plate on top of the outer plate of the masterlink and use a C-clamp or channel locks to push the masterlink pins flush with the doubled up plates. Once the pins are flush with the two plates take the outer link plate "new tool" off and the grooves in the pins should be exposed. Just slip the clip on there and your done. Using this method will allow you to get the masterlink on there with the X-rings in place.