Dune Shocks

ranshee

Hey H.Q., I got a question for all you dunatics out there. I am lookin to up grade the front end suspension on the shee and I thought I would ask you guy before I spent my money wrong. I mostly ride the dunes, do some jumping and stuff like that. I dont race on the track or any of that. So i was wondering what yall thought? Weight 240 #, Going to get +2+1 a-arms also.

;) Ranshee, I contacted Works shocks and gave them that same information for my Banshee. 'Sept I'm a delicate 200 lbs :lol:

I told them I ride mostly dunes, do a considerable amount of jumping, MX a bit, and the whoops are beating my arms up. They mailed me some triple rate non-rezzie shocks that are awsome. Now you can spend an ungodly (is that a word?) amount on performance shocks. These come in at around $400 for a pair (front) and if your not satisfied with the custom valving....they revalve for free.

....soooo, bring on the naysayers :huh:

By the way, I'm off to Florence Monday for a week of abuse on those very shocks. Bought an enclosed trailer to hide all my toys in at night while I snooze. It's black....it's shiny...but mostly, it's shiny! :P

I run the works dual rate w/ rezzys and +2 +1 a-arms on my duner and they work great. I can fly over the whooped out sections and do what little jumping I do without any problems at all. But you can certainly get a lot better suspension if you want to spend the money. I am just saying this setup works great for my riding style. Fast as hell, but close to the ground. :clap:

There are other brands out there..Elka, Axis,PEP,TCS, but who can trust a company that just goes by 3 letters???

Seriously though, unless you do extreme riding, racing have a better than average relation with your wife AND recreational fund, the Works are a smart choice. Just remember, what ever you do to your Banshee to enhance the performance, you are expected to do for her bike as well....

If you need me, this is where I'll be :flush:

I know there are alot of other brands out there. I just thought alot of the high end elkas and pep and them were for track racing / trail riding. Dont most of them have like zero preload? And if they do, thats not what you want out in the dunes, is it?

:o Well.... I just don't know much about preload and shock adjustment, that's the beauty of the Works custom built for you and your riding style....takes the guess work out of it. Hopefully someone else can step in and offer some sound advice for you.

I'm just an old man for Crists' sake....I'm still trying to decide which brand of adult diaper provides the best absorption AND doesn't show through my riding pants....How's THAT for indecision? :bolt:

When I added my +2 +1 a-arms and ran my works setup for stock arms it let the bike sit to low. When I would hit the bottom of a big hill fast going up or down it seemed like my front end would almost drag, which ain't good. So I ordered a new set of Works designed for the wider stance and now the front end sits back up where it needs to be. In my opinion zero preload is an awesome setup for most riding conditions except out in the deep sand.

:o Well.... I just don't know much about preload and shock adjustment, that's the beauty of the Works custom built for you and your riding style....takes the guess work out of it.  Hopefully someone else can step in and offer some sound advice for you.

I'm just an old man for Crists' sake....I'm still trying to decide which brand of adult diaper provides the best absorption AND doesn't show through my riding pants....How's THAT for indecision? :bolt:

I don't know about you but I am 41 years young and can't get enough of this shit. I think I have had my shee setup everyway possible and still trying out new crap. B)

Naw, I mean OOOOLD, like in the last of the late...uhhh, over the peak on the down hill side of...umm. Well, it's just before you can qualify for social security. Right before 64 but just after 45...Oh, I remember! :rolleyes: I'm 46! Shit....this short term memory thing is like....it'ssss like...What the hell was I talking about? bangheadbangheadbanghead

I need a nap :P

I just got back from my first ride with works tripple rates with no rezzies... I cant even tell how much better they are from stock. WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. I highly recommend them. I would start there and you can always add the rezzies if you need to.

I would suggest that you get the best set of shocks that you can afford. Granted, just about any set of aftermarket shocks will be a tremendous improvement, but it is important to keep in mind that different manufacturers have different set-ups they use for spring rates and valve codes based on their supply and what they think works best. I used to run a set of works dual rate non-reservoir, non adjustable front shocks that were "set up" for me but switched to a set of TCS dual rates with reservoirs, and compression & rebound adjustable that are "set up" for me, and the difference is night and day. Talk to the the companies that your are thinking about, explain to them what you are looking for and make your decision based on the information you get / vs price.

I know there are alot of other brands out there. I just thought alot of the high end elkas and pep and them were for track racing / trail riding. Dont most of them have like zero preload? And if they do, thats not what you want out in the dunes, is it?

Hey ranshee, when you call whatever mfg. you decide to go with, they will talk to you about the type of riding you do and will set them up to go along with that. If you ride MX, then your shocks will be setup for that, but if you ride dunes/desert then they'll be more suited for that style of riding. It doesn't really have to do with the mfg., it has to do with the setup.

Go with whatever you can afford.

Scott

It all depends how much you want to spend. Works are a great performance bargain. I had works (with rezzies) on my R and they were a huge improvement over stock. Then I went to Elka SSD (no preload shocks) and wow! even better. With no preload the bike sits lower to the ground for improved cornering but you still retain full suspension travel when the bike leaves the ground.

If you do mostly play riding I'd get works. If you have lots of money and want to hit everything you encounter at full throttle get Axis (you can spend $1500 a pair on fully adjustable Axis shocks)!