Painting The Frame

jeffro189

hi i was wondering how well automotive paint would work on the frame? i spary painted it and that lased about two years :angry: , and now i am redoing it and i was thinking automotive paint (i have a friend who has some left over from his jeep and will do it for free :D ) will it hold up longer than spray bombing it?

have a friend who has some left over from his jeep and will do it for free  )

hell if he's willing to do it for free.....thats a good deal, even if it only lasts for one season :cheers:

automotive paint is alot harder then spray paint so figure if it lasted 2 years this might last a little longer if applied right and depending on the conditions you ride in. and like otis said, if hes willing to do it for free, try it, then let us know how well it came out and holds up. if it dont, powder coat it and be done with it. later

I have done three now with automotive base coat clear systems now. Works good if you sandblast the frame. Also most urethanes even with hardener will remain soft for a few weeks. After a month or so they get really hard and have great abrasion resistance. I would not recommend that you spray it with acrylic enamel. Use a good urethane instead and for god sakes clear coat it multiple times. The clear is where your strength is.

I have done three now with automotive base coat clear systems now. Works good if you sandblast the frame. Also most urethanes even with hardener will remain soft for a few weeks. After a month or so they get really hard and have great abrasion resistance. I would not recommend that you spray it with acrylic enamel. Use a good urethane instead and for god sakes clear coat it multiple times. The clear is where your strength is.

Exaxtly. I was told a 100% cure time of almost 6 weeks.