Riffeling Carbs

Ducman

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, finally just checked out this thread. Ok I skipped thru about 60% of everything that was said but I thought I'd share some info I gained from a kayak of all places. Some folks came out with this kayak that had this patch on the bottom that was covered in textured "X's". Of course this makes no sense to me cuz its right where you want to have low friction in order to do spins - glossy smooth is obviously better. So I see this video explaining the R&D they did using a bowling ball dropped into a tank of water. 2 bowling balls are dropped, one has had X's ground into its surface and the other is just your regular old bowling ball. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't believe it, the damn textured bowling ball slid thru the water faster than the smooth one. The X's caused little air pockets to form around the ball and so the adhesive properties of the water weren't able to cause as much friction. Not exactly the same scenario, but hey, it does raise the question as to which type of surface actually does decrease friction. Since gasses behave like fluids, I would think it would have the same effect. The rougher surface would cause a layer of turbulance on the immediate surface and allow the incoming air stream to flow with less friction. Oh and the kayak - it spun like somebody from the 909!

Edited by Wallrat

Wow, finally just checked out this thread.  Ok I skipped thru about 60% of everything that was said but I thought I'd share some info I gained from a kayak of all places.  Some folks came out with this kayak that had this patch on the bottom that was covered in textured "X's".  Of course this makes no sense to me cuz its right where you want to have low friction in order to do spins - glossy smooth is obviously better.  So I see this video explaining the R&D they did using a bowling ball dropped into a tank of water.  2 bowling balls are dropped, one has had X's ground into its surface and the other is just your regular old bowling ball.  If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't believe it, the damn textured bowling ball slid thru the water faster than the smooth one.  The X's caused little air pockets to form around the ball and so the adhesive properties of the water weren't able to cause as much friction.  Not exactly the same scenario, but hey, it does raise the question as to which type of surface actually does decrease friction.  Since gasses behave like fluids, I would think it would have the same effect.  The rougher surface would cause a layer of turbulance on the immediate surface and allow the incoming air stream to flow with less friction.  Oh and the kayak - it spun like somebody from the 909!

Exactly. That's why a golf ball is covered in dimples. It creates a boundry layer of air which allows it to cause less friction which in turn allows it to travel faster.

Wow, finally just checked out this thread.  Ok I skipped thru about 60% of everything that was said but I thought I'd share some info I gained from a kayak of all places.  Some folks came out with this kayak that had this patch on the bottom that was covered in textured "X's".  Of course this makes no sense to me cuz its right where you want to have low friction in order to do spins - glossy smooth is obviously better.  So I see this video explaining the R&D they did using a bowling ball dropped into a tank of water.  2 bowling balls are dropped, one has had X's ground into its surface and the other is just your regular old bowling ball.  If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't believe it, the damn textured bowling ball slid thru the water faster than the smooth one.  The X's caused little air pockets to form around the ball and so the adhesive properties of the water weren't able to cause as much friction.  Not exactly the same scenario, but hey, it does raise the question as to which type of surface actually does decrease friction.  Since gasses behave like fluids, I would think it would have the same effect.  The rougher surface would cause a layer of turbulance on the immediate surface and allow the incoming air stream to flow with less friction.  Oh and the kayak - it spun like somebody from the 909!

Exactly. That's why a golf ball is covered in dimples. It creates a boundry layer of air which allows it to cause less friction which in turn allows it to travel faster.

that has what do with fuel atomization? :flush: and the dimples do create a layer of air around the ball to create less friction when it is SPINNING. a simliar idea is applied with an airboard with a puck.

dimples like your fat azz, huh she-gurg?

at least you've fessed up to being fat and ugly, how bout the wankin homo part, since your too hideous to get a real girl, instead of the inflatable kind, your probably used to getting mud on the old turtle huh?

You seem to be real hung up on my looks, I guess you must look at guys and think "damn he's hot" or "geez he's ugly" huh? Straight dudes don't look at guys 'like that', but then again what else would I expect from one of hollywoods customers?

BUSTED

Edited by shee-gurg2k1

• 4 months later...