Jetting - Low End

banshdog

'03 Banshee with power reeds, reed spacers, 4 degree advance timing, aluminum air box with single K&N, ProCircuit pipes and silencers.

Bike starts fine and idles, but has a bog in the low end. From what I have read, i should go up to a 30 for the pilots? and bring the air screws out about 2 turns?

I have 290 mains in right now, was gonna put in 300's, or should i go bigger?

Your mains should be determined by the plugs after a wot run in 6th gear for 5-10 seconds...They should be a dark brown color...tan is too lean, and black is too rich.....Try raising the needles one clip and go from there...The pc pipes definately like a richer pilot...Try a 30 pilot and adjust the air screws to the throttle response of the powerband....No one can tell you the air screw position, every shee is different in different areas....let us know what you come up w/..

'03 Banshee with power reeds, reed spacers, 4 degree advance timing, aluminum air box with single K&N, ProCircuit pipes and silencers. 

Bike starts fine and idles, but has a bog in the low end.  From what I have read, i should go up to a 30 for the pilots?  and bring the air screws out about 2 turns?

I have 290 mains in right now, was gonna put in 300's, or should i go bigger?

#30 pilots should probably work, if you are tuneing your airscrews and it runs better the more you turn them out and you get beyond 2.5 turns out go down to a 27.5 pilot. Dont try to tune the pilots when the bike is still cold, get it a bit warmed up first. No, the running on jack stands wont work because there is no load on the motor and is super dangerous when the wheels get going that fast. With the K&N, big open air box w/ no lid and timing advance, reeds, I'd say you should be around #340 on the mains.

The mains won't affect the needle position. The mains only control wot and the needles control 1/4-3/4 throttle openings....you do need a load on the motor like Ducman suggested so you have to ride it...the richer pilot will help the shee start easier and should give you better low end since the pc pipes run lean on the bottom...A lean pilot will cause a hesitation before powerband and starts hard...A rich pilot will cause a hesitation before powerband also, but will load up at an idle and starts hard when warmed up....trial and error. let us know how you make out...adjust the air screws to the best throttle response. the air screws fine tune the pilots...

In my opinion try the following. Doing this will help eliminate and narow down your problem.

Carbs slides in sync? (Move out idle screws all the way first), sync the cabels

then

Sync the slides through the idle screw.

then turn air screws all the way in and see if any better. If yes and bog is gone you have thre right pilot jet. If no then go to a bigger pilot and repeat the above.

Chris

Thanks for all the responses guys. I just got the bike put pack together last night. I started it up and every thing seems fine. MY idle is too high now with the bigger pilots, so i will adjust that first. then i will fine tune the air screws.

Thanks again.

banshdog, the size of the pilot will not affect idle speed, it control how much fuel that is going into the motor startiin at the pilot circuit and working its way through the needle positon as the slide opens up. If pilot is to large your bike will burn rich and smoke like crazy and probablay follow plugs while idling. Adjust your idle screws to adjust the idle speed.

Chris

A richer pilot will make it rev higher if he was lean to begin w/......If the motor is lean, then you have to raise the slides to get the needles to work a little for better air/fuel mixture....

I am pretty sure that the pilots affected the idle, thats the only thing that i changed. anyway, i readjusted the idle, and put new plugs in the bike. Let it idle on its own for like 10 minutes and pulled the plugs to check the color of the electrode and center post. They were clean, no brown color to them at all. I read in the FAQ's that after a ten minute idle, they should be a chocolate color, that will tell you that your pilot/airscrew settings are right on. so today i will turn the airscrews in and idle it again.

other than that the bikes seems to be running great, the bog is gone.

thanks all.

Some people have good luck w/ that technique, but my plugs come out black w/ stock pilots.... <_< My shee runs the strongest w/ stock pilots and has the best throttle response.... Thats the best way to determine your pilot size, trial and error and FEEL the difference!!!!!!!