Right And Wrong Way To Ride A 2 Stroke?

Is there a right and wrong way to ride a 2 stroke? Is there a difference in riding technique between a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke? If you ride a 2 stroke the wrong way does it damage the motor? I've never really had much experience with 2 strokes.

The reason I'm asking is cause I have some friends that say that all 2 strokes are junk cause they all used to have 2 stroke dirt bikes and they blown the motor up or something. :huh:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of 2 strokes like some of the newer 125 MX bikes (like 1995 up) only have 1 ring on the piston and the pistons are pretty light weight and made of softer aluminum material than the banshee and if you dont redo the top end pretty regularly and you ride it hard you can blow the top end pretty easy. The banshee motor is quite a bit tougher and longer lasting.

Tell your friends either they don't know how to properly build their bikes or they must abuse the living shit out of their rides...2-stroke engines have to be one of the simplest engines to work on and maintain, they just want you to sell it so you'll stop smokin their ass :evil:

couldn't said it better myself!!! :headbang:

Is there a right and wrong way to ride a 2 stroke? Is there a difference in riding technique between a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke? If you ride a 2 stroke the wrong way does it damage the motor? I've never really had much experience with 2 strokes.

The reason I'm asking is cause I have some friends that say that all 2 strokes are junk cause they all used to have 2 stroke dirt bikes and they blown the motor up or something.  :huh:

:jesterlaugh: Your friends are just saying that so you don't kick their ass when you ride. :jesterlaugh:

That is by far the most "out there" thing I've heard. If they blow up motors, thats not your fault, nor will it blow the motor if you "ride wrong". Just make sure you use the right premix ratio and change the oil regurlarly, as well as the clean the air filter, and you'll be set.

How reliable are Banshees? (Good Article)

What kind of upkeep/maintenance?

One thing to keep in mind is that any stroke motor only gets lubrication(in the crank case) from the oil in the fuel only. If you ride alot of trails/hills be careful not to use the back compression from the motor to slow you down. Alot of times the rpm's the motor is producing when using back pressure is bad because its not getting enough fuel. Imagine it this way: Your idle jet is only goona put out so much fuel for so many rpms. If your coming down a long hill using the back pressure to slow the bike down the idle jet is not producing enough fuel to keep the motor properly lubricated. So on trial ridding sometimes (alot) it is necessary to pull the clutch in and coast downhill while the bike idles. This way you will not over rev the motor with out enough fuel. So the answer is yes you do ride a 4choke a little different from a 2-stroke. Riding your 2-stroke as described above will definetly increase the longevity of your motor. If you keep up the maintence on your 2-stroke it can easily out last a 4-choke. :flame: 4-choke

One thing to keep in mind is that any stroke motor only gets lubrication(in the crank case) from the oil in the fuel only. If you ride alot of trails/hills be careful not to use the back compression from the motor to slow you down. Alot of times the rpm's the motor is producing when using back pressure is bad because its not getting enough fuel. Imagine it this way: Your idle jet is only goona put out so much fuel for so many rpms. If your coming down a long hill using the back pressure to slow the bike down the idle jet is not producing enough fuel to keep the motor properly lubricated. So on trial ridding sometimes (alot) it is necessary to pull the clutch in and coast downhill while the bike idles. This way you will not over rev the motor with out enough fuel. So the answer is yes you do ride a 4choke a little different from a 2-stroke. Riding your 2-stroke as described above will definetly increase the longevity of your motor. If you keep up the maintence on your 2-stroke it can easily out last a 4-choke. :flame: 4-choke

If you go down hill a lot with the clutch pulled you will eventually weld the clutch adjuster rod to the ball. The motor will alway pull fuel in even with the slides down (no throttle). It's still a pump. It may rev higher than need be with the small amount of fuel and oil that is going to it, but it will still recieved some.

If a motor is jetted properly, you shouldn't have any trouble. The fuel does the cooling and the oil does the lubing.

Wouldn't it be better to put it in a really high gear (5th or 6th) and hold the clutch going down a hill than in 1st?

What about drag racing? Lately i've been racing in this plowed up field. It is probably about a 300-400ft stretch up a small hill. Is it hard on a two stroke to race it and give it hell all the time? Would it last longer than a four stroke if all you done was drag race and drive fast all the time?

4 strokes are a little more forgiving. 4's can lug around a gear high no problem and still pull you through a corner. With a 2 stroke, you'll have to shift more often to keep the rpms up. Maintenance wise a 2 stroke could be considered as needing more, but if you look at the maintenance for a 2 vs. a 4, you'll see that although a 2stroke needs more maintence, its all pretty easy stuff. Replacing a top end on a 2 is a piece of cake. Heck even rebuilding an entire engine on a 2 stroke ain't all that difficult. A 4 stroke on the otherhand...

So ya a 2stroke will require you to go into the engine more often, but its a quick 1-2 day fix and your back riding. Your 4 stroke buddies will scoff and laugh everytime you're rebuilding your top end...until their 4 stokes finally take a crap and they spend the next 3 weeks pulling out their hair on the rebuild.

Maintenance wise a 2 stroke could be considered as needing more, but if you look at the maintenance for a 2 vs. a 4, you'll see that although a 2stroke needs more maintence, its all pretty easy stuff. Replacing a top end on a 2 is a piece of cake. Heck even rebuilding an entire engine on a 2 stroke ain't all that difficult. A 4 stroke on the otherhand...

So ya a 2stroke will require you to go into the engine more often, but its a quick 1-2 day fix and your back riding. Your 4 stroke buddies will scoff and laugh everytime you're rebuilding your top end...until their 4 stokes finally take a crap and they spend the next 3 weeks pulling out their hair on the rebuild.

God isn't that the truth. Very well put. I just spent about 9 hours dialing in the jetting on the g/f's EX & all I did was add an exhaust. :shootself: