Right And Wrong Way To Ride A 2 Stroke?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one mentioned the clutch! That is the most used part of a 2-stroke to get the most out of it. You need to slip the clutch alot when starting a race, going thruogh technical sections wether it be a drag race, motocross, or woods riding. It keeps you on the "pipe" and keeps wheelspin to a minimum. I always have a finger on the clutch and "feather" it to keep it on the pipe almost at all times. Maintenance is the key to making them last, Changing tranny oil every 15-20 hrs, keeping the airfilter clean and oiled, checking all the bolts every now and then, and also float level, this does get off with time so check it regularly. And most of all, keep kicking the 4-strokes a$$!

Your 4 stroke buddies will scoff and laugh everytime you're rebuilding your top end...until their 4 stokes finally take a crap and they spend the next 3 weeks pulling out their hair on the rebuild.

My buddy that's got a warrior JUST went through that!! Top end rebuild took him a month to get ALL the parts and have it back together...and he's still tuning the damn thing. 2-stroke ALL THE WAY!! :)

I have a friend that has a 1992 banshee he bought new. It still has never been rebuilt and it runs exelent. It is stock and he just does the normal maintence of cleaning the filter and changing the oil. He goes riding quite a bit and shee has never let him down. :clap:

But if you feather/slip the clutch alot of the time, doesn't that wear out the clutch plates and stuff? Also, does changing the tranny oil more often help reduce wear on the clutch and other internal parts?

Does a topend rebuild on a 2 stroke just consist of taking off the cylinder head and changing the gaskets?

:yank: get er dun

Does a topend rebuild on a 2 stroke just consist of taking off the cylinder head and changing the gaskets?

Last top end job I did it consisted of taking the cylinders off, boring them, replacing the pistons, gaskets, and cleaning up everything in between...It may sound like a lot but really isn't at all. Cost was roughly $200 for everything...the beauty of 2 strokes is you don't have to worry about cams, timing chains, valves or any of that stuff. REALLY simple to do...and for your question about the clutch, yes it will, but how fast it wears depends on how much you let it slip.

The wrong way to ride a two stroke is to ride it like a four stroke... :shootself:

ha thats a good one.

i like what pointdexter was saying about 'keeping it on the pipe'. I like to keep the power a hair below the start of the big powerband hit.... and all you have to do is twist the throttle a c-hair and your hittin' the pipes, hold on tight. That calm before the storm is where I like the powerband, just blip the throttle and things get crazy. hows' this..... your riding in 3rd gear, just below the powerband hit, your doing about 30mph and your just cruzin' down the trail... all of sudden a big puddle appears :o just roll on the throttle and skim right over the puddle, front tires never get wet. Thats how I ride em. I dont know how to ride a 4 stroke :( I owned a quadsport along time ago, over 10 years ago, thats the only 4 stroke iv owned.

Last top end job I did it consisted of taking the cylinders off, boring them, replacing the pistons, gaskets, and cleaning up everything in between...It may sound like a lot but really isn't at all. Cost was roughly $200 for everything...the beauty of 2 strokes is you don't have to worry about cams, timing chains, valves or any of that stuff. REALLY simple to do...and for your question about the clutch, yes it will, but how fast it wears depends on how much you let it slip.

Boring out the cylinder......is that something you have to do on every top end job and is it something you can do yourself or should you take it to a professional? What exactly do you do when you bore out the cylinder and is it expensive?

git er dun :yank: