Chest Protectors

MILO

I JUST BOUGHT THE SHIFT CHROME LIKE THE ONE PICTURED ABOVE AND IT IS AWESOME AND FITS WELL....IM 6'2" AND 240LBS. I HAVEN'T CRASH TESTED IT YET HOWEVER I WENT RIDING AT A LOCAL PLACE DOWN HERE IN FLORIDA FOR THREE DAYS THIS PAST WEEK AND CAMPED NEXT TO PRO MX RIDER JOHN NATALIE WHO IS SPONSERED BY SHIFT AND HAS THE SAME PROTECTOR THAT I HAVE AND HE SHOWED ME THE ONE THAT HE HAD BEEN WEARING DURING PRACTICE AT THE GATORBACK RACE IN GAINESVILLE LAST WEEKEND AND HE HAD A GET OFF INTO A WIRE FENCE AND IT HELD UP REMARKABLY WELL......HAD HE NOT BEEN WEARING IT HE WOULD HAVE HAD HIS CHEST AND BACK ALLLLLLLLL KINDS OF TORN UP!!!! :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I waded up in with another quad last year ended up in the middle of the first turn face down on the start.We were the first two there got ran over by the guy just behind me : :wacko: Thank god for the CHEST PROTECTOR.Only got dislocated ribs and tire tracks on my back and side.So it does do a little more than protect you from roost.Mine is a Thor After shock and I love it ,it is my friend :headbang: .Kind of like playing full contact football without pads to ride with out it.

I was racing against a Suzuki 400 up in Richland WA and as I blew out in front of him, I launched a rock into his front right shock, big enough to collapse the tube. :o So a ran out and bought chest protectors for the whole family...sheeesh! That would have hurt like hell to take one like that in the chest :blink:

• 1 month later...

if you haven't seen my "novel" in the Gen. Discuss. area, I had and accident at LS and cracked 3 ribs and my right lung collapsed. Basically I went over the front and the quad came over and the bars landed square on the left side of my back.

I'm now considering a chest protector. One, to help keep my bangs and bruises together once I recover some, and two, to maybe help prevent this in the future. My question is, and it's hard to really know but, if I would've had a chest protector on, how much of the impact would the protector absorbed, and I'm wondering how much less my injuries would be. I'm sure I'm gonna buy one because it's better than nothing, but I just wonder.

Scott

To be honest, probably not much. Because you were flat on your stomach when the quad slammed into you. I've balled off a quad about 20 ft and slammed into the ground and all I got was a serious concusion (sp) and brused rips. If you got the money buy a thor or a fox air frame. Don't buy one of those cheap ass $40 one's they'll break from just pure roost.

I presonally wear a under jersey and a thor aftershock on top. The chest protectors protect more of your chest than your back.

tat2

I think it would have made a world of different if you think of the physics of your crash. Basically, your bar went into your back and ALL of the force went into the area where your bar landed on your back, very isolated and local to the bar. This is bad as it was easier for the bar to smash your lung and rib cage. Now, add the chest protector and instead of your back taking the force localized to the area where the bar hit, it is dispersed over the entire area of the chest protector. You are still going to take the entire hit, but it will be spread out over a larger area instead of all of the force in a very small area.

Edited by stealthawd

I think it would have made a world of different if you think of the physics of your crash. Basically, your bar went into your back and ALL of the force went into the area where your bar landed on your back, very isolated and local to the bar. This is bad as it was easier for the bar to smash your lung and rib cage. Now, add the chest protector and instead of your back taking the force localized to the area where the bar hit, it is dispersed over the entire area of the chest protector. You are still going to take the entire hit, but it will be spread out over a larger area instead of all of the force in a very small area.

awesome point, never thought of it like that!!!!

Well sredish, better now than never.  I don't always where my chest protector at the dunes...probably should though.  I got one of the new Thor Force Protectors, cost a dickload but I figured if I'm going to be racing I'd like to have the shizzle protecting my behizzle. :D

Everyone keeps talking about how expensive they are but the Thor Force is around 80 bones while the Fox AirFrame is a cool 100. That's really not that much, call me a rich white boy, but hey. The Fox looks like it might protect low and around the sides a little more, but don't know.

I'm cool with the fizzle and down on the behizzle my shizzle. :lol: WTF did I just say? :huh:

Edited by sredish