Witch Gas Is Better>?

I would urge you to look into the specifications of the fuels in question. My understanding is that "Av Gas" can be different from one place to another. VP racing fuels (what I run) publishes their fuels spec's for the consumer to make an informed decision. It is also important to keep in mind that octane rating and motor octane are two different numbers, and should be looked at closely.

i run AV gas in my Tecate with 175lbs of compression. i would never in my right mind spend 7.00+/gallon for race fuel, speccially since mine gets around 15 miles to a 2.75 gal tank. av does have lead in it, but you can buy the low lead (100LL) i spend about 2.70/gal on AV gas, which is good.

Well, AV is rated differntly then race fuels and pump gas. a 103 octane rated av fuel might be the equivelent of a 92 grade pump gas. They use a diffrent formula. Also AV gas contains anti-icing additives that could potentialy harm a two stroke motor. Kinda like jet-a isn't good for deisel trucks..the trucks will run good but it will ruin the motor. All in all the AV gas is formulated to provide a reliable fuel for high altitude flying at constant rpms. It made to keep carbs & fuel injection from icing and operated under heavy loads. I wouldn't run it.

What bugs me is, there's all these reasons why AV gas is not suitalbe for quads, from the high altitude forumla to the anti icing crap, but what bugs me is I know a few respected guys who run AV with no problems, never and have been running it for years. Plus its a hellava lot cheaper than VP. Last summer I was burning 10 to 15 gallons of gas per weekend, if I had to pay 7 bucks a gallon Id need to get a better payin' job :huh: . I just put 20cc domes in and my compression jumped from 130 to 165, I need hi octane and im gettin' some AV :)

Avgas is not a blanket fuel for any purpouse. In an all out purebred race engine race gas is best...period. For engines that are in that grey area of potential detonation, Avgas is fine...and yes, the Octane is definately higher than 92 automotive fuel. As for damaging to 2-strokes, 20 years of use never showed that to me. I broke the waterspeed world record in 91 with a replicated H-2 Induction Kawasaki 536cc twin 46mm sidedrafts running 305psi on avgas and that motor was dependable enough to let my daughters run around the lake on all day long, and those motors are under 6 times the stress, and much more likely to detonate than a Banshee motor...Jim