Only One Side Idles

richb

Since I rebuilt my top end with a one over bore and wiseco pistons, cool head with 18cc domes, stock carbs with 300 jets, carbon-tech reeds, K&N filter, 4 degree advance stator, tors removed with twist throttle and toomey T5's, I have had a problem with the left cylinder not idleing on its own and the pipe not warming up(luke warm at best). The right cylinder is idleing but a bit high and the pipe warms normally. I have tried everything to slow the idle on the right side with no luck. Once the engine is revved, the left cylinder comes to life and the bike runs perfectly. At idle, the left pipe smokes and the right doesnt. I tried changing plugs and after a spark test have found that there is good spark. Any ideas?

It sounds like a plugged pilot to me as well. Also, did you drill and tap the idle screws into the side of the carbs? if you did, be sure that you removed enough material from the side of the hole so that the screw can get down into the slide bore enough to contact the slide itself. You need to remove at least 1/8" of material to allow the proper clearance. Also, is the choke tube in place? If not, you are going to melt that right cylinder down in no time flat once you start riding it.....

After a leak check, I found a tear in the left intake manifold. After replacing it, the bike ran better, but the the left pipe is still not warming up. The idle screws are making contact with the slide, the pilot jets are clear and the choke tube is in place. All are great ideas, but the problem still remains. After fiddling around with it, I have noticed a fair amount of gas has built up in the left exhaust. I a going to take it out to the dunes this weekend and see if it just needs to be blown out. Will check in on Monday with the results.

Sometimes after messing around for a while with a problem that causes it not to run right even when you get it fixed it wont run right due to all the fuel and oil built up in the system. She might come around when she warms up just be cautious.