When Is Boring Needed?

i was wondering if boaring is needed when ever something happens in the cylinders. i blew one of my crankshaft bearings and it shot metal in the cylinders. when i took it all apart i know im going to need new pistons and a new head but the cylinders didnt get that tore up. the biggest scratch is about an inch long and has to be less than a millemeter deep. do you think it would be ok if i just got new pistions and left the cylinders as is? ohh yea i was wondering too how i can tell what size pistons are on it now, there was a number on the top of the pistion but i didnt know what it meant....(513mb6400)

the biggest scratch is about an inch long and has to be less than a millemeter deep.

No. Nope. No way. Do not think that a scratch, especially a millimeter deep is okay. That will need to taken out, I wouldn't even think about maybe trying it. A millimeter compared to the tolerances in the cylinder is HUGE.

You bore when your cylinder is worn enough that the standard bore (or whatever bore your on) is worn enough to prevent the cylinder from making adequate compression, or you have a scratch a millimeter deep.

If you don't know what size pistons are on it. Take it to the shop to perform the top end and let them measure the diameter, they'll know what size bore is in it, and what size to step up to.