Anyone Here Do Lift Kits? Suspension Mods

Ya but all trucks are differnt, it depends how they sit at there stock height.

A 6'' lift on a ford can fit 38's easy but a 6'' on a silverado or something will only fit 35's.

A straight axel in the front will give you an extra 2-3 inches i was told compared to a IFS.

go to this website.. www.offroadsuperstores.com his site is set up so you put in what you have and how high you want it and it will tell you how big of a tire you can go. later

i have 6inches now with 35s and can fit bigger on mine.

you can fit the 39.5s with 6 and 3, and also turn your tbars up high for about an extra 2" out of the lift (will compensate ride and flex), get bigger blocks if the kit doesnt come with the 5.5" and get add a leafs. or do a shackle flip with add a leafs, or get custom springs. then trim if they rub.

what lift kit are you going with?

39.5s is real big for a 1/2ton!! are you replaceing the rear axle with a 14bolt? are you regearing? what do you plan to do with the truck? how much do you drive?

my truck has enough trouble with 35s, the most im going on it is 36s unless i do something about the ifs and steering.

You will need a total of 14" to fit 40's on a tahoe. My buddy down the street has one but its a custom fabbed kit. He kept the IFS but its a 2 wheel drive. 4 wheel, you need to straight axle swap. Here is my HD with 40s on it. This is an 11" kit but the HD body sits 3" off the frame stock.

HD1.jpg

This is the Suburban being shot for Tailgate Magazine

JSub.jpg

This is the time when you ned to make a serious judgement call. What do you want to do with this truck? I assume you want to wheel it because you mentioned cutting the fenders. However, this all demends. You aren't gonna clear stock sheet metal without at least 10" in that truck. It's just a chevy thing. That's the way it is. Well, pretty much any IFS suspended truck nowadays. You could go with a whiplash suspension. Do you want to go custom? IMHO, the only way to lift a Chevy 4WD is by swapping a Dana 60 in the front, and a 14 bolt in the rear. You could get away pounding the pavement on your stock shit, but don't be going across the lawn unless you plan on replacing stuff. Now, do not "crank" the torsion bars. THat is not a good thing. It upsets soo many things on your truck, and you will have accelerated wear of EVERYTHING in the front end. Including your brand new 38" rubber. Now, also, how wide of a tire do you want to run? THis all plays a factor. The wider the tire, the wider the rim. The wider the whole setup, the higher you must go. With 6" and a body lift, 36" rubber looks really good, and has minimal contact on the fenders. I would run 35's on it though. Now, for the jump to 38" tires, I don't know what you want to run. The most popular 38" tire in a TSL is a 38.5-16 and that is a fairly wide tire. You will need 10" to clear that. Especially with IFS. If you go solid axle swap, there are kits available for them. But, make damned sure you line it up properly. if you don't, you might as well roll it off a cliff. It will be worthless. You will need a steering box, and some fabrication skills equivalent to Stan's photoshop skillz. ;) On a serious note, this is a turning point for you, if you're serious, and you need to make the call. You need to decide on a tire, and then start thinking about what you want to do. With IFS, you can lift it, but you don't gain any suspension travel out of it. solid axle is a whole different animal. Think about it. And then think about it again.

This tahoe is all looks, I have my other 4x4 what is made for the mud.

I do not want an axel swap have already looked into it and that is around $7,000 installed. Everyone here has 6'' lifts with 35's and it doesnt even catch anyones eye now a days. I guess 40's might be a bit much so I want to do atleast 38's if possible. And no offroading for this tahoe but I would be willing to cut the fenders a bit to fit the bigger tires. And yes I would regear it whatever is neccesarry.

nice Toy cb76, I am currently getting ready to SAS my 94 single cab. What springs are you running? I was going to run 2wd chevy springs in the back and move my rear springs to the front with an extra leaf. I am trying to get the most flex for my buck, any suggestions?