Aftermarket Headlights!

jbirdman

dude mybuddy just got HID's onhis banshee, not sure how they work exactly, but I think you can run the stock stator...man they are great I can ride my two wheeler behind him at night and just see in front of him, or he will ride behind me....they were about a grand, but that's cheaper than a trip to the ER for a broken back cuz you didn't see the witches eye.....website is

bajadesigns.com check them out...pretty cool stufff...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't beat trailtechs for the price, they are much much brighter than stock, only 35w too so you dont need a new stator. Just silicone the plug onto the bulb and put some anti-seize on the outer ring and you will never have problems.

silly-cone those little screws in too, I had trouble with them until i plastered them with it

I would use locktight on screws, silicon can prevent yor from tightening, Siliconing the lights and seals wounds reasonable though. The ricky stators lock in with a ring so they never fall out (one piece design), unfortunately they do not have a place to mount the stock key switch, so you have to re-locate it.

Whats the difference between lazer-stars and trailtechs?

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi Boonman,

Looks like you got a lot of know how on lights/stators etc!

I want to replace the stock headlights on my 01, with some 55w aftermarket

spotlights. I am not worried about the amount of light they put out, as I only ride in the daylight. I just like the look of them. For enduro racing we have to have 1 rear facing light and headlights. If I fit these 55w headlights, added to my 35w rear light will this blow my stator, or will the lights just be dimmer, ie the whole system will only run at 105w (Banshee Std Stator)

If this is the case, I am happy, but I do not want to blow the stator. If the stator does blow, does it affect ignition, or just kill all the lights?

Appreciate the help

Rgds, Bruce

I run the Trailtech with 75 watt bulbs, 200 watt Ricky Stator and and their modified flywheel with stronger magnets. The flywheel allows for brighter light at lower rpm's versus staying on the revs. Amazing system, well pleased with the output.

On my previous bike ('96) I ran 4 Ricky Stator Aluminators (2 in the stock location, 50w each; and 2 on the handlebars, 35w each) and his 260w dual-output stator (no longer available). I also ran his battery kit (also NLA) so I could power these and my GPS, tail light, whip light, and a little LED without worrying about keeping the R's up alll the time.

Pix: http://members.cox.net/dr.overkill/index_b.html

I'm planning to run HIDs on my current bike ('00) but am waiting to see Lazerstar's "improved" HID they're supposed to be coming out with ~ January. I want to do another battery like before (so I can run the HIDs and hardwire the GPS to it), but it will have to be a custom fabrication this time unless someone knows of another manufacturer making battery kits.

_dennis

Bottom line, if you run anything than 2    35 watt bulbs on a stock stator, you will burn it up.......  It may take a couple rides, but the lighting coil will melt.  It just can't handle it.  Contrary to popular belief....

Yeah. I don't know about burning it up, but when I was setting up my bike at Ricky Stator, he told me to try to keep the total wattage of the components to about 75% of the stator's max output.

_dennis

Bottom line, if you run anything than 2    35 watt bulbs on a stock stator, you will burn it up.......  It may take a couple rides, but the lighting coil will melt.  It just can't handle it.  Contrary to popular belief....  :confused:

287091[/snapback]

Boon elaborate on that if you can. I am under the impression that whether you use two 35 watt bulbs or two 100 watt bulbs your stator puts out exactly the same amount of power either way. The stators power output is not governed by what its plugged in to is it? Meaning it will have to increase ouput power to burn itself up. So in order to burn itself up the stator must increase its power beyond its rating?The stator is self limited by design is it not? Is it like a cars alternator, I know exceeding the limits of an alternator will not burn it up but I'm just trying to figure this out. Someone help me.