Aftermarket Headlights!

jbirdman

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys, I thought I would bringup a new diea for all your Trailtech/Lazerstar/Illuminator fans.

THere are some new bulbs made by Osram Sylvania. They are the True-Aim-IR series. The IR Series claim their 37 watt bulbs are equivilant to 50 watt standard MR16's so pop 2 of those in and it's about the same as rewinding your stator to run 50 watt MR-16's! I am currently testing some 50 watt IR's they don't seem to list on their website. They only list the uncovered version.

I was screwing with the wiring last trip out and jumping with a broken rear shock and I did manage to bust the filaments. however I called Osram back and they assured me that the filiments in the IR bulbs are no weaker than any other MR-16 and said I could have possibly gotta a bad batch (or maybe I was just really hard and them or blew them when I saw screwing around with the wiring.)

Anyways I found the 50 watt IR's to be about the same brightness and my 75 watt MR16's that were in there before (they only make 71 watt these days because they were having problems with heat on the 75's) The good thing is that I no longer have to have the bike fully reved out to get to max brightness because they are so much more efficient! I love having 2 10 deg lights on my handlebars they put a very large spot out in front of you and enough spill to see all around. Very impressed with these bulbs for now although I think I need to test them a bt mroe since I did manage to bust them.

Anyways I could order a case and get them for a bit cheaper if anyone is interested.

My next project will be HID's for frame mounting, but I'll probably keep the IR's on the handlebars.

You will probably have to custom order these if your interested so make sure you get the "Covered IR MR-16's" when you order. I would recomend 10 deg projection it's not that tight of a spot due to the size of the reflectors.

i got trail techs and was wondering how do u get the bulb ou if and when it breaks??? i also have the problem of the one rattling back and forth. i have them mounted in the stock spot and the whole lamp literally "spins" around on the bolt u put the little allen nut into to adjust the angle (up or down) it sits at. any help for me guys on how to get it in/out and how to fix it?