Skid Plates, Which Mfg?

sredish

Ok, looking for some skid plates. I'm unsure whether I need them for the A-arms, or for the rear rotor/sprocket (since there is one somewhat). Will an A-arm skid help strengthen at all?

I'm concerned with fit, I know some of the companies don't really strive for fit and finish, and I don't want a PITA.

Cool, let me know. B)

I have DG swingarm and chassis skids. I like them. They will take the hit.

Fit was ok. The swigarm skid was about 3/8" too wide at the mounting

holes. This was not a problem, as it squeezed down when the bolts

were tightened. The chassis skid clamps to your frame with some heavy

aluminum half moon type clamps, all of which did not line up perfectly with

the frame, but it's on there, looks great and I am sure it is not going

anywhere. I do not have experience with any other manufacturers skid

plate for the banshee to compare, but I am glad I bought them.

I used armor flex (tough spongy foam line set insulation on a/c condensors)

under the frame clamps to avoid abrasion to the paint.

I used to have a dg skidplate and I wish I took pictures of it before I threw it in the trash.....thing was beat to hell and couldnt take a hit. I bought PRM everything after that and I've beaten the hell out of the swingarm plate and it only has one little bend in it from when I cracked a rock really hard. Only thing that was good about the DG is that when I bent it up against my brake rotor, or sprocket, I could get in there and pry it away....until I hit something else. The PRM one I think if I ever did bend it up into something I dont know if I could bend it back.

I feel a lot more safe with the PRM, I'm not afraid to hit stuff with it, while with the DG I was still trying to avoid stuff so I wouldnt bend it up into something. Long story short I was riding 2 miles of whoops along a train track and only after my shee started losing power because of how hot it was did I realize the plate was up against my brake rotor.

Only negative of the PRM is that it makes ground clearance a lot lower on the back (its already real low with 20" tires)

As far as swingarm skid plates, forget about the White Brothers and DG type. They are the same thing. They are also sold under a few other names. But they are basically a flat piece of thin aluminum that has a couple of tabs welded to it to mount to the swingarm. I bought one and it only lasted one ride. The corners were bent up and one of the welds broke. Wasted $60. My wife has been running an Armadillo on her Warrior for two years and she doesn't avoid anything. She just slams into rocks, roots, logs, and ruts, the Armadillo has help up great. So after destroying the WBs skid, I ordered an Armadillo for my Banshee and have been extremely happy.

I have heard that the PRM skid plate is very good as well, but I haven't tried it for myself. Besides, I don't think that you can run a PRM skid plate with a shortened swingarm.

Are you guys landing on rocks from 6ft in the air or something.

I've hit plenty of rocks with my DG skids and they are not

fu@ked up yet. If you think you ride harder than me, I doubt it.

mrmatt the DG skid is 3/8" aluminum. How thick is the armadillo

and how does it mount any differently? :huh:

You must be riding on some extra rough shit.

What do your rims look like? They must be f'd up.

I ride trails sometimes that I've put holes in 6ply tires. When your in 5th gear ripping up this old logging trail thats full of jagged, big rocks more than dirt......you tend to hit a few of them. The place is called Tower City.

Another place that is even worse than tower city in some of its climbs is the Hatfield-McCoy trails. I've hit climbs that have bounced me around so much that I couldnt hold my line anymore and had to stop because I'd get bounced sideways, or get the front end popped up, or was just hairy enough that I thought I'd roll it. And end up with all my weight over one of the tires on my quad to keep it from rolling.

Some crazy ass shit......not to mention that a glacier from a long long time ago deposited rocks when it receded, some of them monstrous, and some of them are just sticking out the ground a little, and they dont move when you hit them.

We have boulder fields in a couple places around here.

So what about your a-arms? You guys protecting those also? I'm getting it all scratched up and its starting to rust a little. I may have to get me some chromies, or some sweet quicksands.

Thanks again for the feedback.