Turns Off After 10 Seconds

jasonsb

I just rebuilt the top end on one of my bikes. No modifications, same set-up. So, I'm running it rich to break it in (25:1). It ran choppy for the first hour. It sounds like it's missing until I hit 1/2 throttle. Then, I tried to take it on a second ride and it died after I pulled away (10 seconds). It wouldn't start anymore. I took the plug off and cleaned it. The plug tip was dark and wet. I cleaned the plug and it started....and again it died after I pulled away. It wouldn't start anymore again. It sounds like a bog or like I'm out of gas..then it just dies out. Could it be the carbs (33 pwk) or an electrical problem?

I bought new plugs and will next try to get the idle and air screws dialed in. ANyone have an idea where to start...I turned everything so much that I don't remember what it used to be set at? (33 pwk keihin) sea level 60-75 degree riding. Will the rich mixture 25:1 keep causing the plugs to be fouled? How long should I run it rich to break the motor in? It has about 3 hours.

I broke in a (stock) Blaster once by just letting it idle for 20 minutes at a time, along with riding it a little bit.....just enough to get the engine warm and then shut it off. That Blaster ran better and the piston lasted longer than any I had done before.I wonder if that would work for a Banshee, provided it would idle? Of course your's won't idle.

What about an oil that can be used at a leaner mixture such as Bel Ray MC1 (at about 32:1 for break-in) or Amsoil (I don't know a good ratio for break-in, I've never used it)? Just a thought