Clutch Basket Gear Loose

chase73

Hey all ,

I just rebuilt my whole engine and turned it into a stroker .but , when I was looking over the clutch basket I noticed the gear had movement .i was thinking of just upgrading to a hison basket but , I have not found one of ebay yet . my question is the stock basket is rivited to the gear ?????? can new rivits or bolts be put in to fix the slop in the gear ???? or do I need to get the hinson basket

There are rubber cushions between the basket and the gear. I had a step by step on replacing the old basket on the old site...it's all gone now. Here is a pic of of the basket apart. You can use screws, bolt and lock tite to put the stock one back together. You'll need a set of cusions though and be really good at taking the rivets out without damaging the basket or the back plate. If there are grooves in the basket, might as well upgrade. There are other good baskets out there too. I think wiseco has one out now.

That's the basket split. The cushions are worn... see how they don't fit right.

Chase:

I'm sure you mean the large helical gear on the basket.... but also check the small gear located near the center of the backside of the basket. My last basket started to come apart there as well... I had upgraded to a hinson but the center was still from the OE basket. I actually had to cut up another good basket for the center small gear/hub.

Yes there are other baskets out there... Ive had bad luck w/ the Moose brand... They are also made under a different name.. I just cant think of it right now.

Good luck.

h300f:

I found mine loose when I was assembling my MP motor. Even though I knew the answer I called Dave Moore and asked his opinion. With that gear loose it can cause the clutch basket to wobble and or excessive vibration. That can take out the cases or the main bearing on the tranny shaft. With as high strung as my motor is.. I didnt want to take chances. If yours is loose... I would look into getting a new clutch hub.

Thanks fixitrod it is the bushings I am just going to upgrade I think but , were can I get new bushings for the stock basket and does the basket have to be taped for a bolt to reattch the gear ??? just thought I would pick your brain :)

It looks nice. Never used one. You won't notice a performance gain, but you don't want it to wear fast.

The new basket is threaded and comes with screw. Make sure you get new cushions with it. Looks like the vitos comes with it. Some sell it seperate. Make sure you have new ones.

You'll just need to drill the stock rivets so you can re-use your gear. When you put the new one together, you'll need some red loc-tite. That's about it.

As far as the bearing.. you'll probably have to hit the dealership or go to www.ronnies.com

I bought a billet clucth basket kit made by Performance Enginering for $139.99 for Motosports Outlet.

do you have the website were you bought the basket from motosports outlet ???? thanks i tried to find it and had no luck

I bought a billet clucth basket kit made by Performance Enginering for $139.99 for Motosports Outlet.

do you have the website were you bought the basket from motosports outlet ???? thanks i tried to find it and had no luck

http://www.motosportoutlet.com/

It's right on the homepage. I buy stuff from them too. Free shipping on most things if you order over $100. Great service too.Call them to see if they have what your looking for before you think they don't. There website is mis-leading and not very accurate.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I am curious how much play is acceptable between the basket and gear?

I took my clutch apart to check for wear and to install better springs. With my new added horsepower, I could feel the clutch slipping slightly when I am moving at higher speeds where the tires do not spin, or when trying to ride a wheelie.

My friction and metal plates look and measure like new. There is no wear on the basket, but I did notice that with a lot of force I can move the basket on the gear slightly as described here (the outer edge of the basket will move about the distance of one tooth on the gear; that is total from one direction to the other). The basket is still very tight on the gear. Is this acceptable, or something I should repair?

Thanks!

Brian