Flywheel

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theoretically, it should be slightly more prone to stalling. Realistically, NO. Your engine will build revs ALOT quicker. It will be easier to ride. Don't forget, that on the compression stroke of one cylinder, there is a power stroke on the other cylinder. So, there isn't a loss of power, such as would be the case with a 4 stroke bike. I have tested bikes with lightened flywheel, and then switched to lightened one. EVERYONE that has ridden a bike with a lightened flywheel, has liked it. I have not heard of one person that has tried it, I mean has actually tried it, not theoretically, hypothetically, or whatever thought they have imbedded in their brain tried it, but actually ridden a bike with one on it.

Theoretically, it should be slightly more prone to stalling.  Realistically, NO.  Your engine will build revs ALOT quicker.  It will be easier to ride.  Don't forget, that on the compression stroke of one cylinder, there is a power stroke on the other cylinder.  So, there isn't a loss of power, such as would be the case with a 4 stroke bike.  I have tested bikes with lightened flywheel, and then switched to lightened one.  EVERYONE that has ridden a bike with a lightened flywheel, has liked it.  I have not heard of one person that has tried it, I mean has actually tried it, not theoretically, hypothetically, or whatever thought they have imbedded in their brain tried it, but actually ridden a bike with one on it.

Exactly what Boon said, I have been lightening Banshee flywheels since 1989 and never had anyone that tried one not have it done.

Ron... did you read the info at the link I posted above? After that research, it seems your method of removing the weight from the center of the flywheel is actually better than taking it off of the outermost surface. Have you ever "tested" one of your flywheels that are lightened only in the middle compared to a stock and your "fully" lightened flywheels? Can you take even more weight from the center?

Ron... did you read the info at the link I posted above? After that research, it seems your method of removing the weight from the center of the flywheel is actually better than taking it off of the outermost surface. Have you ever "tested" one of your flywheels that are lightened only in the middle compared to a stock and your "fully" lightened flywheels? Can you take even more weight from the center?

I read the info the first time you posted it.

First of all, both types of my lightened flywheels work much better than stock. The slotted flywheel just revs a little bit faster than the lightened flywheel without the slots.

I have not tested a slotted only flywheel against a lightened flywheel without the slots. The weight difference between those two is substantial and I feel I already offer the best options in lightened flywheels.

The only way I can remove more weight from the center is to machine material off the flywheel hub where the crank slides in. I feel like that area of the flywheel should be left alone for reliability, and that weight is so close to the center it wouldn't make much difference at all. Your post if I read it correctly, states "Mass located near the axis of rotation has little effect on "J" and just adds to engine weight" This explains why Removing weight from the outermost surface of the flywheel makes the most difference. Also like he said the more cylinders you have the less flywheel weight is needed, one more thing he may not have considered is that a 2 stroke has a power stroke every rotation of the crankshaft. And a Banshee with its twin cylinder 2 stroke has two powerstrokes for every rotation of the crankshaft.

I am not a professor but did understand what he wrote. If a lighter flywheel didn't work better on a Banshee, then I wouldn't sell many when I let customers try them before they buy. And nobody has ever asked for their stock flywheel back in all the years I have been doing this.

Later, Ron.

OK so the extra/ unneccessary weight near the center point only adds to weight meaning it has no benefit unlike the weight at the outermost edge of the flywheel. The added weight near the center would then only serve to slow the response ability/ time by the engine. Just out of curiousity, I recall you taking 11oz's from the fully lightened flywheel and 8 from the perimeter lightened flywheel. I think you could trim a little more from the END of the center hub that faces the engine cases. This wouldn't compromise the strength of the hub. I honestly suspect that you have better performance by taking as much off the center than you would the outer perimeter AND judging by my read of Joe's math, there would be much less risk of failure the more you took off the closer to the center. I would also like to add that there can be several things going on here at the same time too. An aftermarket clutch basket COULD have some effect on the response time and performance of the engine because of the weight in rotation. Things like the lock up clutches would also effect the engines ability to rev quicker since they add a significant amount of rotating weight to the engine. The use of any of this stuff has to be balanced with the performance you expect to gain. If clutch slippage is a problem and quicker revvs isn't, then the lockup clutch may be for you but if the quicker revvs is important, then the lockout might not be for you.

I'm not bashing anyone here. I'm just seeing if this thechnology/modification can be taken to a higher level. And I'm hoping we can open a quality dialog on some possible improvments. If someone has the ability to MAKE a flywheel, I would be willing to donate materials {such as titanium or aluminum as they become available} for some prototypes.

I also understand that some of the aftermarket ignitions use NO flywheel. That being the case, it would show that the stock flywheel is completely un-needed weight and perhaps much of the "performance" enhancement from the aftermarket ignition is the complete loss of the weight of the flywheel and no so much the electronic improvements. Just a few thoughts to kick around :wacko:

QUOTE (Holyman)

I think you could trim a little more from the END of the center hub that faces the engine cases. This wouldn't compromise the strength of the hub.

Yes I cold take some weight from there but weight at the center has little or no effect.

QUOTE (Holyman)

I honestly suspect that you have better performance by taking as much off the center than you would the outer perimeter AND judging by my read of Joe's math, there would be much less risk of failure the more you took off the closer to the center.

From reading Joe's math, and from personal experience, I feel you have this backwards. Removing weight from the outside makes more difference than from the center.

QUOTE (Holyman)

I would also like to add that there can be several things going on here at the same time too. An aftermarket clutch basket COULD have some effect on the response time and performance of the engine because of the weight in rotation. Things like the lock up clutches would also effect the engines ability to rev quicker since they add a significant amount of rotating weight to the engine. The use of any of this stuff has to be balanced with the performance you expect to gain. If clutch slippage is a problem and quicker revvs isn't, then the lockup clutch may be for you but if the quicker revvs is important, then the lockout might not be for you.

I totally agree with you on this point.

QUOTE (Holyman)

I'm not bashing anyone here. I'm just seeing if this thechnology/modification can be taken to a higher level. And I'm hoping we can open a quality dialog on some possible improvments.

I agree here also, I'm not trying to do any bashing either.

QUOTE (Holyman)

I also understand that some of the aftermarket ignitions use NO flywheel. That being the case, it would show that the stock flywheel is completely un-needed weight and perhaps much of the "performance" enhancement from the aftermarket ignition is the complete loss of the weight of the flywheel and no so much the electronic improvements.

Anyone that has ever ridden a Banshee with a performance ignition that replaces the stock flywheel with the small aluminum "button" flywheel, can tell you that it is only good for drag racing. There is a loss of inertia at the lower end of the RPM's, that is not very forgiving when trying to ride at any level except WOT.