How To Paint Shock Coils?

jasonsb

Is it possible to paint shock coils a different color. I'm working on a green frame and I need shocks to match. The only shocks I see for sale are yellow, red, and white. It's hard to find matching front and back white.

Anyone ever paint shock coils? If so, what is the process?

Is it possible to paint shock coils a different color.  I'm working on a green frame and I need shocks to match.  The only shocks I see for sale are yellow, red, and white.  It's hard to find matching front and back white.

Anyone ever paint shock coils?  If so, what is the process?

I made a spring compressor to compress the shock and springs, then I used an open end wrench on the Type 1 Cad plated nut thing, and a cresent on the mounting point to take them off. Then I released the spring and took it to a chrome shop.

The stockers look powder coated to me. That chit is thick. I don't know about it chipping from movement. That spring coil is like 3 feet long if you un coiled it, and it only moves about .5", if that, from coil to coil. I think you would be okay with chrome paint or powder. It just depends on what you want. Durability (powder) Cheaper cost (paint) or Shine (chrome).

Powder coating is your best option. Paint will not last, chrome is a BAD idea and here's why. As a result of the chroming process, the hydrogen atoms in the spring wire (either chrome silicon steel or chrome vanadium steel) are released from the steel while in the electrolosis tank (electricity is used in chroming to get the chrome to "throw" to the part) this releasing of the hydrogen atoms is known as "hydrogen embritlement" and it does just that, it makes the part that was chromed brittle. In the case of springs it re-tempers the spring wire, thus resulting in a drop in rate, induces stress risers and weakens the spring tremendously eventually leading to a failure. A lot of people chrome springs, that does not make it a good idea. Hope this helps.

Dunedemon.

my friend has a blaster that has yellow spring coils... we thought about how to get them apart and all that good stuff and painting and finally i was just like... why dont you just get shock covers.. =)

Sometimes the best way is too simple to realize

hey look, everyone has there own preference. i have serious doubts as to the "protection" factor of covers. i can see covers protecting from dust or sand but if a rock hits your shock its guna chip the spring cover or not. im not saying they are a waste or anything, i just dont think they are for me. i guess i can be that way though cause i always ride by myself or with my kid so i rarely have anyone in front of me spewing up crap and throwing it on my bike. if that was the case, id probably get them. now the neoprene ones i have seen look worth it cause they are thicker and offer more protection.

check