Frame: Paint or Powder Coat?

Metal_man_Rob

What do you prefer and why?

My thoughts:

A good paint job is easier to touch up in the future and easier to paint over but is also easy to scratch up and looks like trash if not done meticulously.

Powder coat looks better and is more durable but chips. Once it chips, covering it, especially wierd colors like neon, is harder to do.

I'm sending the frame out for sand blasting and having gussets welded on so it will be bare metal. It is going to be ridden primarily on ice ovals and oval flat track. So not a whole lot of craziness.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Powder coat but if you go the paint route get some steel-it. Expensive but has surprised me how well it is holding up on my chain/rotor guards after 2 years of dragging them through the sand during dune trips. Also weldable and easy to touch up. 

16 hours ago, dano3 said:

Powder coat but if you go the paint route get some steel-it. Expensive but has surprised me how well it is holding up on my chain/rotor guards after 2 years of dragging them through the sand during dune trips. Also weldable and easy to touch up. 

Is this the same as POR15 or whatever it is?

23 hours ago, dano3 said:

Never heard of it, is it uv protected strait from the can?

https://steel-it.com/pages/toughest-paint-for-metal?gclid=CjwKCAjw8JKbBhBYEiwAs3sxNxIS98Ou0uNZu8SjHJrhgdSCj_ft_w6upthHkGwpihHow51ejQI1BBoCnYcQAvD_BwE

Looks like it. That reminds me i painted all my outside light fixtures and garage door trim pieces with the black version and it looks great still, not much fading. 

• 1 year later...