Race Gas

dognuts

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't have a high enough compression race gas doesn't do a thing. I think its all in your head cuz your runing race gas and thinks its gonna be faster. I know a guy that put a boost bottle on his shee and we all know they do nothing but he swore he could feel the increase so I jumped on it and same old shee. Unless you just want to waste 30 bucks then go for it but its not gonna do anything but hurt you.

"Unless you just want to waste 30 bucks then go for it but its not gonna do anything but hurt you. "

I totally disagree with this statement. How is running a better fuel through your engine going to hurt you? Sure it may hit the wallet a bit harder than pump gas. But how hard does it hit the wallet when your top end lets loose?

The fact is that race fuel burns much, much cleaner. It has additives to help in lubrication, which helps with engine longevity. It burns a little cooler, and we all know that additional heat is not something you need. And the comment about it burning slower, while that may be true, do you really think you can notice a difference in how fast gas ignites in that small combustion chamber?

Here's another way for everyone to look at this. We spend all this money on our Banshees, buying them, modding them, general upkeep....... After all the money spent, do you really want to skimp on the fuel that you use?? Something that could keep your motor up and running for a longer period of time? For me, I'll give $4.00 a gallon, compared to $1.50 a gallon to help keep my motor in tip-top shape.

snce high octain is not as cumbustive, it will ignite at a different position on the compression stroke. So if you motor is not done up to use it it will only slow you down..

If you noticed a difference its probably because your bike is running cooler and I would suspect that perhaps you are running too lean or something.

It all boils down to burn rate......

The speed at which the flame front travels across the piston.

You guys that are hell-bent on noticing an improvement from "race gas" on a stock Banshee...try this one on......

Do you think you would see a gain in performance if you retarded your timing 3-4 degrees????????????

Because that is basically what you are doing. ;)

The best set-up for reliability AND performance is to match the octane requirements of your engine with a specific type of fuel.

No more octane - and no less.

It all boils down to burn rate......

The speed at which the flame front travels across the piston.

You guys that are hell-bent on noticing an improvement from "race gas" on a stock Banshee...try this one on......

Do you think you would see a gain in performance if you retarded your timing 3-4 degrees????????????

Because that is basically what you are doing.  ;)

The best set-up for reliability AND performance is to match the octane requirements of your engine with a specific type of fuel.

No more octane - and no less.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You run the least amount of octane your motor can handle without pinging. (detonationg, pre-igniting). If you are running "race fuel" or high octane fuel as it really is, and you don't have the proper compresison for it, you are wasting your time. It will not burn at the correct time that your ignition tells it too. Octane is a number given to notify purchasers of it's resistance to detonation. That's all. It will not make your motor faster, or give you more power. It is a popular misconception. And don't go firing off about a highly oxygenated fuel. We are not talking about that. There is a fuel for every application. If your motor is pinging, run a little higher octane. If it pings still, run a little higher. if you can't stop it from pinging, your squish is probably improper. it's not necessarily the speed at which the flame front travels, but the time it takes to ignite the mixture. Higher compression is needed to ignite higher octane fuels properly. It is designed that way. Speed of the flame front is part of it, but the ignition is the important factor in the timing department. It's all in your head. Put it against the clock. I have never found any research on this, but I would like to see a stock bike, draggin, run pump fuel, and then run race fuel, and see what the difference is.... I would bet it would be either the same, or the race fuel would slow you down.

I agree that a higher octane can produce less power on a stock motor. But I have also heard that because of the extra cooling properties of Race Gas, the motor runs cooler therefore the motor will run "more crisp". Ever notice that your motor runs better on cool days and on hot days it seems a tad doggy?

So if your curious to see what Race Gas does for your quad, buy a couple of gallons of it and see if you like it or hate it.

A shee likes to run better on cooler days because of cooler air being more dense and creating more hp..not because the motor is cooler..

RACE FUEL does NOT create more hp....It WILL lose hp on a stock motor....You MIGHT be able to get back the loss of power if you advance the timing, but you still won't get any better then low octane...Boony explained this very well...As far as against a clock, I have tried this w/ my street bike in the 1/4 mile...I was running 10:08 in the 1/4 w/ the 90 octane....Tried 114 octane and could only get a 10:4 in the 1/4 mile......4/10's of a second is about 4 bike lengths!!!!

Higher octane is designed to stop detonation for higher compression motors, not to get any more hp from it....the higher octane will burn a lot cleaner and is better for the motor w/ less carbon deposit. If you can afford it and adjust the timing to compensate the timing difference, then go for it...It is a better fuel for reliability and motor life....just no performance gains..

I would agree that race fuel is a waste on a stock motor , but in the case that you are running maybe pipes and a coolhead and advanced timing it's essential to keep the octane high for the high compression .. What about when u get the bike ported and lose compression , like a major change then before the port? ..Do u then go back to a lower octane fuel such as 94 from sunoco? or do u continue running race fuel? I say go back to 94 does anyone agree?