Jetting question

Ladle58

200 is stock. 280 sounds very rich to me unless you have exhaust and/or have removed your airbox. I'm assuming this is not the case since you said your bike was stock.  A rule of thumb is one size on the main for every 30F on a stock bike. That would put you at 215-220. With the elevation that's where I came up with 210. If you wanted to be safe 220 would be a good starting point.

2 hours ago, 97Screamer said:

200 is stock. 280 sounds very rich to me unless you have exhaust and/or have removed your airbox. I'm assuming this is not the case since you said your bike was stock.  A rule of thumb is one size on the main for every 30F on a stock bike. That would put you at 215-220. With the elevation that's where I came up with 210. If you wanted to be safe 220 would be a good starting point.

You're confused.. Stock jets go 200, 210, 220, 230.....

280 on a bone stock bike? I'd be very surprised if thats the case. I don't even change my jets going from ~75 during the day to ~40 at night, 20F is not that cold. I'm not confused even though my post may have been confusing. The 215 was from a mathematical standpoint, I recommended the 210 because of elevation and 220 to be safe. If he needs a 280 the bike is either not stock or has an air leak imo.

59 minutes ago, 97Screamer said:

280 on a bone stock bike? I'd be very surprised if thats the case. I don't even change my jets going from ~75 during the day to ~40 at night, 20F is not that cold. I'm not confused even though my post may have been confusing. The 215 was from a mathematical standpoint, I recommended the 210 because of elevation and 220 to be safe. If he needs a 280 the bike is either not stock or has an air leak imo.

Let him him burn it down then... Mathematically, that's what's bound to happen.

I'd rather see him play it safe.. Will 280 be too rich? Probably. If it's 20 degrees and he takes it out with a 220 and does some long ass pulls with it, I bet it won't live.

I'd rather see him start high and work his way back down than blow the thing up first time out.

I've never blown anything up having too much fuel.. Not enough fuel is a different story.

Yeah. 20F is cold as F. And actually it's about 10F right now.  

Thanks for sharing thoughts.  Taking into account all info, I feel I have to run at least 240 to be safe. I'll see what I have on hand.

There has to be a chart out there somewhere that has starting points for jet sizes taking into account all variables.