Shattered/Cracked Frictions

Keno

Current Setup- 91 octane, 24cc domes, 421 Serval, Shearer SBIF, Kehin 35mm A/S,  Chariot Clutch basket, DD Lockup, 2.86 Staight cut gears, Sleeper06 Promod, Amsoil Dirt Bike Transmission oil

Riding -  Dunes, pasture with hills, very mild jumping (like a few feet)

Last summer - Shattered a finger off stock basket w/ FAST Clutch, shattered several clutch frictions, ruined helical gears. Replaced with Chariot basket, Driveline Clutch, 2.86 Staight cuts, and Promod.

November - Went to LSOK, Clutch was slipping badly under half throttle. Was using the springs that Driveline provides in their standard kit. Steels were blue and 2 clutch frictions were cracked. Figured springs weren't strong enough, Replaced with 3 EBC +10% and 3 EBC FZ600 +10% springs. and Tusk Clutch(Probably a bad choice.)

Today - Clutch was dragging. Took cover off, 1 friction shattered into several peices with some of it missing. Ordered another Driveline Clutch and will be reusing the 3 EBC +10% Banshee and 3 EBC FZ700 +10% spring combo.

I don't understand, I only have probably a 80hp setup. Has anyone had experience with breaking clutch plates? if so, how did you rectify the problem?

I'll Post some Picture here shortly.

Yeah, I replaced hub and pp last summer, hub looks grooved now. My basket has some gashes now sadly will probably be replaced. Also I'm missing about half a friction plate. Damn. I'm going to order a hub and pp and probably a new basket. Ugh.

ec9c45de9e20ca0694a3e9aa05583d1b.jpg405fafbd12e9204907efc6432bd6c47d.jpg09ffb59fe795a9b9f7daded3d2f520bc.jpg

No havn't added any weight.  I haven't noticed any slipping with the heavier springs. But I'm open to adding some weight if it will help prevent my next clutch from grenading.

To be fair the basket has had 1 clutch crack 2 frictions and another clutch friction explode.  So its had some abuse.

I guess I just want to know how people with higher hp motors keep from cracking or grenading clutch frictions.

I ran R1 frictions with barnett steels when my bike was built to 74HP. took 2 seasons of abuse before I had to replace the hub and basket... The frictions and steels are still in use on my wifes banshee....

dang lol crazy.  idk much about clutch tuning, but I had a the FAST heavy duty clutch in my 85 hp 4 mil with heavy springs and a ball bearing lock up.  Was probably over kill, I could have added weight to my lock up probably and went with oem springs and it would have been fine.  Clutch is over a year old and still brand new basically.

Sadly, zilla is probably right. My first problem was the stock basket, the second problem was the regular springs. The third problem was the tusk clutch. Live and learn. I'm installing another Driveline clutch, just with stiffer springs. I may play with adding weight to the lockup if needed.

10 minutes ago, Keno said:

Sadly, zilla is probably right. My first problem was the stock basket, the second problem was the regular springs. The third problem was the tusk clutch. Live and learn. I'm installing another Driveline clutch, just with stiffer springs. I may play with adding weight to the lockup if needed.

I would just to be sure you can always take weight off if you need.

zilla right lane told me that one of bills bike has a 3 yr old clutch in it. think its got the lock up on it too, but still

Hell I can’t even put a damn chain on right. But I tend to think the forum is where the smart people hangout. I try to buy what I think are some of the best parts out there. I don’t want to have something grenade because I was cheap and I don’t want it to grenade because I spent more money on something for that assurance. When I heard Gusto say his buddy had the same issue it got me thinking did I make the right choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk