Blew A Hole In Piston

Checkmate

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is a good reference site!!

what would happed if my timing was TOO far advanced ?? maybe say +6 or +8 ??

Would even higher octane take care of that?

if i understand correctly i need a higher octane due to my compression and elevation. how do you figure out what your timing does to that equation??

i have a pic of the pistons, but haven't found a place to host the images yet.

Squish is the distance from the piston to the dome at TDC. It can be measured with a piece of solder that you would stick inside the cylinder and sin the motor over. Pull the solder out, and measure how thick it is after it just got smushed into the head by the piston. It is the most accurate way of checking it....

Big Mike, A easy way to remember the jetting thing. When the temp goes down the jetting goes up. When the temp goes up the jetting goes down. The same with elevation, up go down, down go up. Now that you are real confused try to figure out the differenc between mikuni and kehin jets :blink:

Is it crucial to do so even if you are running a high enough octane?

Octane does nothing for your jetting requirements. Unless you are runing an oxygenated high octane fuel (which I am sure someone would have brought that up just to be a dick) in which the fuel has a higher oxygen content therefore needing you to richen up the jetting a slight amount. Octane is a number that lets you know the fuels resistance to detonation, pre-ignition, or commonly referred to as spark knock...

• 4 years later...