Hey guys new to the forum.. pretty new to banshees.. i have owned an 89 for 2yrs.. no prob other then carb cleaning. Still got 150psi.. ok so i just bought another 89 j arm $600 craiglist deal, was told it just needed top end. Put new top end on her. Cleaned carbs twice. Finally got bike to fire....But.. it will not idle and I have way more smoke out right side pipe the no choke carb side. The bike is 100% stock.. the carbs are stock, no jetting done. It has an air filter and the baffles and packing out of pipes. On the carbs only the left side carb has an idle screw, right side old MIC carb, idle screw hole isnt all the way through.  What is my problem? Not enough spark? So much fuel it seems like right side floods and puts the spark out. The main jets appears stock, right side carb it has no numbers.. left side carb says 200 and 400? It will start and run for 5 secs on new spark plugs, after that initial start it hard to start and has too much smoke out right pipe.. carbs are synced, but should i resync right side to left side, since left side has the idle screw? Bypass screw and adjust idle buy top of carbs? HELP? PLEASE?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could it be head gasket leak? The bog down and smoke from right cylinder burning up in antifreeze?.. I used a cheapy ebay copper gasket, with no gasket sealer? It is my first top end rebuild. So yes, take everything back apart,

put new thicker head gasket on

check needle height. The carb floats are set at 21mm.

Put on idle screw kit on

Leak down test

Don't just throw parts at it.

start simple.

You need fuel/compression/spark

swap plug leads first.

then start it, If the other side has smoke you know the problem is the ignition. otherwise

open radiator cap, any bubbles?

no bubbles means no head gasket leak into cooling system at idle.....

Then go through the carbs again after that ( I mean tear them completely apart, put all the main pieces in carb dip over night, blow everything out with compressed air, run torch tip cleaners through the jets, then brake cleaner. Buy new needle and seat for fuel inlets, reassemble and test.)

after you do all that and it still doesn't run right come back....

DO 1 THING AT A TIME. that way you can track what you changed and how it affected the bike.

Sorry Missouri had some shit weather come though this wknd. Will keep ya updated on the progress or lack of progress. Soon as I get a chance I'm going to swap plug cap sides, see if left side smokes.. if i still have smoke, new head gasket.. still smokes has to be the crank seal. Hopefully tonight I can get out there without freezing my butts off and switch out spark plug caps/boots.

Don't have a pressure tester kit, leak down kit.. probably faster to just re due the head gasket to my likings. Cheaper to switch plug caps, if no, then replace head gasket, 20mins and $13 gasket and install with gasket sealer asumming my head suface isnt flush 100% perfect. If that isn't the deal I know it the right side crank seal gasket.. again sucks to tare whole motor apart for a $13 gasket set. But in the end it will run and run good enough for me to thrash the woods up