Completely baffled, running issue, can not figure this thing out...

120 psi is stock compression.  ill tell you what it is NOT. its not from you not having a ground from your engine to frame or paint on your frame with your ground unless its thick af

id look into that compression. even once broken in doubt it would raise more than 10 psi. u sound pretty mechanically inclined im assuming u are doing the test properly with a decent gauge.  Claude was having some funky issues too with his running av gas  till he closed his plug gap to 18 or 20 I think

Edited by Ayesully810

2 hours ago, Ayesully810 said:

120 psi is stock compression.  ill tell you what it is NOT. its not from you not having a ground from your engine to frame or paint on your frame with your ground unless its thick af

id look into that compression. even once broken in doubt it would raise more than 10 psi. u sound pretty mechanically inclined im assuming u are doing the test properly with a decent gauge.  Claude was having some funky issues too with his running av gas  till he closed his plug gap to 18 or 20 I think

Hmmm interesting, I could try re-gapping to 18 or so on the plug and see if that makes

And yea the frame was just rattle canned, nothing special, and I cleaned off all the ground points and points where the coil bolts to the frame, but the compression is making me question things, ill have to contact HJR and double check with him. 

Your set up seems pretty much the same as mine. I to also have HJR MX porting with a chariot heat with 20cc domes, but with FMF fatties. Your compression does seem a bit low as I have between 155 to 160 psi and our elevation is pretty much the same.
I started out with the jetting recommendations which are the same in your post from builder. I was running into the same issue that you are describing, of falling off or not reving. After some jetting trials and chops I ended up with
27.5 pilots, AC one turn out, 340 mains, clip in 3rd groove if running oem needle. Plug gapped at 20.
Did you check the squish when you assembled top end and leak test.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, Canadianshee said:

Your set up seems pretty much the same as mine. I to also have HJR MX porting with a chariot heat with 20cc domes, but with FMF fatties. Your compression does seem a bit low as I have between 155 to 160 psi and our elevation is pretty much the same.
I started out with the jetting recommendations which are the same in your post from builder. I was running into the same issue that you are describing, of falling off or not reving. After some jetting trials and chops I ended up with
27.5 pilots, AC one turn out, 340 mains, clip in 3rd groove if running oem needle. Plug gapped at 20.
Did you check the squish when you assembled top end and leak test.

I did not check the squish gap, the jugs were new and ported fresh by him, as well as the head cut, so I just threw it together thinking he had everything spec'd right, may have been a mistake on my end...

I just put the 270 mains in, needle #4 position as recommend by my local shop, no change, still the same. 

After riding it and warming it up, I wanted to check compression with it hot, to my surprise it was less then when it was cold, maybe 100-110 on both banks. 

I took a vid of me riding it and free reving it, as well as some pics ill upload in a bit when I get home here in a bit, at work now

Thanks for the input so far fellas

Ok heres the vid of it acting up.  from 27 secs and up is a full throttle pass in second gear

Here is a vid free reving it, as you can see, it has no problem reving up, perhaps a bit smokey if anything, but seemed more or less normal to me

this is the right bank after that run

IMG_4532.jpg

left bank

IMG_4534.jpg

and a crappy pic of the plugs, seemed drier, but i cant do a proper chop with it acting this way

IMG_4527.jpg

So this was with 270 mains and the needle on #4, with no change, which in a way, I'm a bit relieved, as this seems stupid lean to me and from all Ive read/experienced with these bikes.  I have dropped it from a 330 to this 270 with little, if any, difference. 

As you can see the compression numbers are lower then one would think for a fresh top end and milled head, so something internally may be amiss.  However, there is one last thing I did not check, reeds.  I bought brand new V force 4 reeds and installed them right out of the box, so maybe I did not orient them right if they need to be in a certain way, or maybe there is like tape holding them closed from the factory or something.  I will remove them tomorrow and inspect, and I'll install my old stock reeds to see if that makes a difference. 

If no go on that, I'll fab up a leak tester and see if its holding pressure, then from there, most likely tearing the top end apart.  Any more input is welcome 

If it were me I would have kept that fat jetting and leaned the needle all the way out to see if it would rev.  Sounds like you have swapped every electrical thing for a working one off the parts bike right? That compression still aint right tho you should be around 160, I would get a better tester and retry then call kevin cause your comp is low. pistons facing the right way right? arrows towards xhaust ports

Edited by Ayesully810

Was hard to tell exhaust smoke looked a tad white, have you looked in your rad to see if your coolant has dropped.
I had some issues syncing carbs with the peep windows and the lock jam nut turning. If you have access to a sync tool, sync carbs with it to be sure.

18 minutes ago, Ayesully810 said:

If it were me I would have kept that fat jetting and leaned the needle all the way out to see if it would rev.  Sounds like you have swapped every electrical thing for a working one off the parts bike right? That compression still aint right tho you should be around 160, I would get a better tester and retry then call kevin cause your comp is low. pistons facing the right way right? arrows towards xhaust ports

I attempted that as well, i think I had 310s in it at that time, but I dropped the needle in to see if there was any change, sadly nothing.  

For the most part yea swapped everything from a known good bike electrically, making me put that at the bottom of my list

Pistons are installed correctly with arrows towards exhaust ports

7 minutes ago, Canadianshee said:

Was hard to tell exhaust smoke looked a tad white, have you looked in your rad to see if your coolant has dropped.
I had some issues syncing carbs with the peep windows and the lock jam nut turning. If you have access to a sync tool, sync carbs with it to be sure.

I haven't checked the rad to see coolant level, however I have inspected through the plug hole and kicking it over with the plugs out to see if there was any coolant, all dry, no coolant in chambers.  

Aside from syncing the carbs with the window on the side, thats all Ive done, def something to consider tho if I cant track this down.  

Did you have your pod filters on when you made the video. Have read in a different post of filters with outerwear that were over oiled was a cause of not reving out under load. It's not much help other then something to check.

carb sync def aint that culprit here lol that thing wont rev for shit, jmo.  I have no other tips for you but ill be spying on here to see what it might be.

Im sure sleeper will chime in at some point with some og knowledge

Edited by Ayesully810