1989 and 2000 Banshee Builds

I've never used that particular kit but I have two like it that I bought from home depot plus one more of a different style. I broke the size I needed in both kits and the third just spun and was useless. I swore off screw extractors after that and was slotting heads as others suggested. A buddy snapped off his pinch bolt in a set of dirt bike forks and I bought the kit I have now after doing some research and talking to a friend who is a professional machinist.  In my opinion left hand drill bits are the most valuable part of the kit. I really can't vouch for the quality of the Hanson extractors I referenced, the bits have removed everything I've tried them on so the extractors are still brand new. I soak in liquid wrench for ~20minutes and throw the bit in my hand drill on the lowest speed setting (in the reverse direction of course). Works like magic.
And I'm in North SD, not too far from Del Mar fairground. Offer to help stands anytime, I always love to see banshee brought back to life rather than trashed and parted.
I love these quads, such a different experience than anything else. The cheapest I could find anything in our area was $2500 so I came to terms with that and bought two project bikes for 2k. They'll both be worth more than I put into them (hopefully) when they're done. If not, I don't care. I built them and having peace of mind that they're reliable is worth it. So I'm glad they didn't get parted too.

I'm going to just take your advice and get the left handed bits.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Left handed bits are awesome! Work a majority of the time. I try to get everything out without drilling first, go off center, hit the threads and you are very likely fucked.
I wish I could get them out without bits, but these aren't coming out without them or some other kind of force.

Buy one of these. Best extraction kit I've ever used and guarantee it will take those screws out of the shift drum. I've used it dozens of times on the most screwed up screws you can think of (I've bought a lot of bikes in boxes) and have never needed the extractor. The left hand bits take them out every time. I see you said Ocotillo Wells, if you're in San Diego you can bring it by my house, I'll take those screws out for free...

https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-HANSON-Spiral-Extractor-11119/dp/B0002NYBH8/ref=sr_1_6?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1512506344&sr=1-6&keywords=left+hand+drill+bits
Do you happen to have time this weekend? I could use some help cutting that flywheel off and removing a couple of screws.

On 12/7/2017 at 7:26 AM, Banshee2105 said:

Do you happen to have time this weekend? I could use some help cutting that flywheel off and removing a couple of screws.

Yes, I am planning on working on building my engine and some shocks this weekend and will be home if you'd like some help. Other than a dremel I don't have any cutting tools but I do have all sorts of pullers. The screws are no problem and I think we can get the flywheel off too. Shoot me a pm and let me know when you'd like to come. It would also be helpful if you soaked the screws and flywheel shaft in liquid wrench or the equivalent before hand. If you don't have any we can do it when you get here, just have to wait a little for it to penetrate.

Just a small update. I got some more parts from the guy that sold me the bikes. The 2001 was running 70mm pistons, and a stroker crank which explains the gigantic carbs that came off that bike. I am 99% sure I am just going to go back to stock because I want the reliability. He also gave me another stock welded crank which is nice so now I have basically two top ends for this bike and an extra stroker crank.

I ordered all of my parts on Friday so you guys should be seeing some good progress this week!