Yamaha Banshee MOT in the United Kingdom

arag0105

Hi guys,

Newbie here so be kind!

I have just purchased a 2003 Yamaha Banshee over in the USA and will have it over at the beginning of next year.

I am looking to get it registered and road legal with a daytime MOT.

I have just got off the phone with a garage that will happily MOT it for me and they have said it will need a set of front/rear number plates, horn and a manual parking brake (for the daytime MOT). Firstly, do the Banshees come with a manual or hydraulic parking brake? Obviously the quad will not have plates at first as it isn't registered until an MOT so the MOT station said they can work off of the chassis number (very similar to importing a car).

Also, has anybody else had their Banshee road legalised with a daytime MOT and is there anything else I should be aware of?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Adam

Edited by arag0105

The parking brake is usually removed though. 

You can get atv's road legal in some states, but not others.

Arizona required a horn, blinkers and working head and tail lights.

Parking brake wasn't part of the requirement.

There is only one road legal or (blue plated) banshee that I have personally seen here in Ontario Canada it had the following done to it to get blue plated
1.Must have a key to enable/disable motor ignition
2. Must have a parking break which comes stock on a banshee which is cable activated on top of the hydraulic brakes.
3. Must have front and back indicators for left and right turns.
4. Must have a battery to power the hazards lights if you break down on side of road.
5.Must have a rear brake lights that comes on when you apply the the brakes. (My 2007 has that stock) not sure what years the rear brake light come on. If yours does not have it you will need to order the parts and wiring harness for it.
6. Float you stator ground so you can charge the battery for your lights and hazards lights.
7. Horn
8. Rear mirror
9. Catch bottles for overflow of rad, carbs etc ( not needed to pass MOT but anything helps)
10. Road tires
11. Full fenders as you know.
Road use is limited to non Kings highway use so you can only use roads that have a posted speed limit of 80Km/hr. I'm sure there are differences between regulations but this is what it takes here. At least here once your bike is deemed road safe insurance is the next battle, tough to find any insurance company who with insure the bike for both on road or off road use. You may be forced to pick the use of the bike, which means you will need two. One for road use only and one for play which is a win win

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

the amount of times you would be harassed / pulled over on that road legal banshee here would be NUTS and a waste of time lol 
This is true. That the one thing the guy was say when he first started to ride his banshee in Belleville. He was pulled over every day he took it out. Never fined as it legit, but there is a communication breakdown between the policing services, the MOT and the insurance companies. The police are just doing their job as they don't know the legality of ATV on road use. But he said he only gets pulled over now when there have been new hires ECT that don't know.

37 minutes ago, ride.race.live said:

the amount of times you would be harassed / pulled over on that road legal banshee here would be NUTS and a waste of time lol 

Sounds like a reason to file a lawsuit against the municipality. If you have tags and insurance, are following the rules of the road, the Police should leave you alone.

They do in Az....

Haven't checked on getting my Banshee's registered in Maine yet....

see people riding atv's all over in the summer, as long as you aren't being a douche the cops leave you alone.

4 minutes ago, Toybreaker said:

Sounds like a reason to file a lawsuit against the municipality. If you have tags and insurance, are following the rules of the road, the Police should leave you alone.

They do in Az....

Haven't checked on getting my Banshee's registered in Maine yet....

see people riding atv's all over in the summer, as long as you aren't being a douche the cops leave you alone.

No reason to sue, you will just waste your money. You won't win the case.

If you can prove harrassment you win, JURY case.... Easy to get when there is a history of the department or individual officer harassing people.

When i was young and stupid I had Phoenix PD over a barrel, instead of moving forward with my lawsuit I dropped it and went to hawaii instead.

If everyone was suing the cops for potential harassment there would be no cops to do their jobs. They'd all be in court with some guy that has too much time on his hands suing them.

Is it annoying? Sure. But if you have nothing to hide/worry about then who cares. Explain to the cop the legality of it, and show him paperwork. My guess is you won't get pulled over by that person again.

If everyone was suing the cops for potential harassment there would be no cops to do their jobs. They'd all be in court with some guy that has too much time on his hands suing them.

Is it annoying? Sure. But if you have nothing to hide/worry about then who cares. Explain to the cop the legality of it, and show him paperwork. My guess is you won't get pulled over by that person again.
This is what the guy went through here. Was a pain in ass at first but only has an issue now when a new officer ECT is around.

8 hours ago, Canadianshee said:

There is only one road legal or (blue plated) banshee that I have personally seen here in Ontario Canada it had the following done to it to get blue plated
1.Must have a key to enable/disable motor ignition
2. Must have a parking break which comes stock on a banshee which is cable activated on top of the hydraulic brakes.
3. Must have front and back indicators for left and right turns.
4. Must have a battery to power the hazards lights if you break down on side of road.
5.Must have a rear brake lights that comes on when you apply the the brakes. (My 2007 has that stock) not sure what years the rear brake light come on. If yours does not have it you will need to order the parts and wiring harness for it.
6. Float you stator ground so you can charge the battery for your lights and hazards lights.
7. Horn
8. Rear mirror
9. Catch bottles for overflow of rad, carbs etc ( not needed to pass MOT but anything helps)
10. Road tires
11. Full fenders as you know.
Road use is limited to non Kings highway use so you can only use roads that have a posted speed limit of 80Km/hr. I'm sure there are differences between regulations but this is what it takes here. At least here once your bike is deemed road safe insurance is the next battle, tough to find any insurance company who with insure the bike for both on road or off road use. You may be forced to pick the use of the bike, which means you will need two. One for road use only and one for play which is a win win

This is pretty much what we have to do to get them legal over here, except for the fenders which we don't need to run also in the UK the last paragraph is not the same for us as we are classed as a car because we pay car tax so therefor can use any road. When I did mine you had to put them through a SVA test to get a log book not just an MOT, not sure if that is the case now.

Don't worry about getting any hassle from the law, you won't unless you act like a dick