Velocity stacks/intake tuning

BurntLegs

Hello, I have been doing some thinking and was wondering if anyone else has thought about this/seen any results themselves.

My best guess would be longer tubes between carbs and filters may help lower end at the expense of top end. Possibly higher velocity/more laminar flow at low scoocums and slightly less flow at maximum scoocums? Or maybe the effect is minimal and the tubes simply choke the engine? 

What got me started was the CFM intake, to me its interesting and was surprised I didnt find too much conversation about the subject considering allot of people here drag and reed spacers are kinda popular.

Issue with the CFM air box is that it hinders so much air flow into the filter. 

Reed spacers are not popular, they are only used when clearance is needed for the carb bowl and case. Other than that, no one likes to use them.

If you want to test your thought, get a piece of metal pipe that is the same ID as the carb intake side and use some pods. Cut it long to start. Find a dyno. Make runs. Record data. Cut tube to shorter. Repeat dyno runs. Keep doing this. Plot all data with the different length tubes. See results.

There has definitely been a few grandiose attempts at tuned intake length and velocity stacks. Gary at SRP, Wayne "Wobbly" Wright on the TSS 500's, Plenty of GP guys playing with Aprillas and other two strokes, even Mull Engineering had a lengthened intake. Do they work? Sure if done right. Definitely a marginal result. In the end the reason you don't see much of it is because nobody worth a fuck is getting results that are worth a fuck.