CPI pipes and overrev

SlowMoe

Registered is giving accurate advice.  We are more a fan of using math than dumping in oil, but it can work the same.  

Question- Are your piston domes flat or called domes for a reason?  IE, that works into the math, and something that needs to be accurate and that data is not published.  

A 4mm with drag timing exhaust, 21cc dome, and pump fuel is asking for it.  This right here is why we recommend users to roll timing back, then bring in timing 1* at a time.  For a quick test, you should try rolling your timing back to 0* or even less, and see if you have overrev.  

Nevermind the math, I see multiple issues here and think just throwing race fuel at it is a reasonable solution for now.  

Brandon

Mull Engineering

Brandon:
What size domes do recommend for pump gas?

Recommended user:
What kind of measuring device is typically used to measure the amount of oil poured on top of the piston, and you stop at the spark plug hole, correct?

Sleeper06:
What trapped volume and displacement did you use in your calculations?

I'm just confused, as my builder is not a newb. Has clients bikes in his shop from two states over and assures me my bike is safe to run on pump gas.

If indeed I have a problem on my hands I would rather just buy new domes than be stuck running race gas.

FWIW

I ran the piss out of it today at the dunes on pump gas with no issues. Mainly because I have faith in my builder.

However you guys have me curious and I would like the peace of mind if doing the displacement calculations myself and coming to my own conclusion before moving any further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, blowit said:

This right here is why we recommend users to roll timing back, then bring in timing 1* at a time.  For a quick test, you should try rolling your timing back to 0* or even less, and see if you have overrev

Brandon

Mull Engineering

this is good advice for everybody not just noobs. set timing at 0, get engine running good then adjust timing accordingly. other than maybe losing alittle power, theres really no ill affects of too little spark lead . on other hand, to much spark lead can cause all kinds of problems.  i guess it just sounds cool to say you have boat loads of spark adv

measuring with oil was always easiest for me. its almost idiot proof as long as u can find tdc. i might do it a different way if i were better at math

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SlowMoe said:

65.5x65.5x58x3.1416¿4000= 195.4346163+21 then divide the total of that by 21 which is the cc of the dome equals 10.30 compression which is safe for pump gas

That right there is largely concerning to me........  

Its actually nagging a hole in my head that someone with the word "professional" in there would accept this as correct arithmetic!  It ain't right!  

• Like 1

That right there is largely concerning to me........  
Its actually nagging a hole in my head that someone with the word "professional" in there would accept this as correct arithmetic!  It ain't right!  

How would your math look?

55.5mm bore
58mm stroke
21cc dome

And at what UCCR is pump gas no longer safe?

Probably the fact that first we need to convert mm to cm since cc=cm^3. Also bore is diameter and we need radius for our equation.

so,

Bore = 6.55cm

Bore radius = 6.55cm/2 =3.275cm

Stroke = 5.8cm

(3.275^2)*pi*5.8= 195.43 cc

I'm assuming the area of the top of the piston above the deck can be determined with the formula for the area of a partial sphere?  If so then.

h= height of top of piston above deck

a= bore/2

V= pi*h/6(3(a^2)+(h^2))

Nevermind, Probably not correct might get you close if the edge of the piston crown is equal with the deck. I'm kinda curious now the proper way to calculate this.

im sure Brandon is a lot better at math than us. atleast a lot better than me. imo this method leaves to much room for error for the normal joe unless your efficient with numbers.  not only that but finding deck height accuratly isn't the easiest thing, especially if the pistons in the hole. and getting the piston dome angle or height can be a challenge as well. now if your familiar with the particular engine components and know all their relevant values then its just simple arrithmatic but starting from scratch on a unfamiliar engine can be a real pain to figure out this shit. ya its less messy than oil but if you get a couple numbers wrong then u spend forever going in circles to sort it out lol

• Like 1