Shifter Seal Leaking....again.

doug

Hi there,

My shifter seal is leaking.  I replaced it last season and it stopped leaking.   After riding most of this summer, I had to replace it again.  It was fine for a while and then it started leaking.  I have not hit anything that I am aware of that would bend the shifter itself and it looks fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Edited by doug

few things. theres a brass bushing right behind the seal. if its worn the shaft will flop around more than normal. put clear tape over the shaft splines when you put in a new seal or you can gouge the seal lips. check the shaft straightness with a straight edge. could be a number of things. shouldn't be overly complicated to figure out

few things. theres a brass bushing right behind the seal. if its worn the shaft will flop around more than normal. put clear tape over the shaft splines when you put in a new seal or you can gouge the seal lips. check the shaft straightness with a straight edge. could be a number of things. shouldn't be overly complicated to figure out

Will take a look at this, but it definitely doesn't flop around.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got out to the garage.

Not the shifter seal.  As shown in attached photo, it's dry.  Appears to be leaking from the two bottom bolts where the case saver bolts in.

Anyone ever had this happen?  Any ideas?  I've never run into this before.  Photo attached.

thanks.

post-29045-0-61557400-1485966038_thumb.jpg