Cylinder porting.

penguin

What's the deal. Already called 3 performance shops and they are 5-7 months behind on port work. Are there Shortage in cylinders or just not enough guys porting these days. Guess I should have started earlier. Found couple used big bore motors. But I'm just Leary of putting that much money in a used motor that you have know idea how much life is still in it. Which I know even a new motor subject to blow at anytime. But used doubled the chances. I can assemble and tune all day with the best of them but I don't have the correct tooling and proper knowledge to do my own port work. And I damn sure not going to ruin a 2-3k cylinder trying. Season may be over before it even starts.

The fact that guys are booked as far out as a year is actually a good thing. It's an ailing industry that seems to be getting some sort of revival. Guys are seemingly spending more lately. If you have a guy telling you 6 months that typically means they have a solid reputation if people are willing to wait.

As far as putting money in to a used motor, if you actually go through everything you can have a better then new motor, but it takes a total package. Not just tossing a used ported top end and domes on a clapped out old bottom end.

• Like 1

either 10mil 535 or 10mil 611dm   still debating  on which way to go..  I had a 10mil 535 and was very pleased with it. I already have the crank in 10mil just need cases trenched, haven't sent them out yet because I need to make up my mind on cheetah or dm  but after seeing what else is out there running  not sure that's going to be enough power for the bikes in my area  I will mainly be street racing in my area and some at 1/8th mile asphalt track.  most of the bikes around here are about appearance and less on power with the exception of a couple guys but mostly looks  . im the opposite I will spend on power first then look into the shiny parts. 4 months out is not too bad as long as the builder does what he says, theres always next season if you don't get a full one in this year, and start saving to build second motor for back up or at least back up cylinders   got couple more guys getting me prices on both ways and as soon as I get all my quotes in I will make my decision.  now I know I need to quit stalling and get my order in cause everyday I wait is a day longer before it gets done..