Going back to stock...opinions

13HemiRam

Hey guys..I picked a banshee up on trade and it has an Athena 392 kit on it. I'm looking to go back to stock. Does anyone know if the niche cylinders are sleeved and can be bored/honed if needed? Or are they plated like the athenas? Are they much different than stock, such as porting and such? I don't need a race bike or anything I probably won't ride it more than a few times a year, I just want it back to stock.

My other option is buying used stock cylinders, there's a bunch locally on Craigslist.

Let's hear some opinions on this, I haven't been able to find much info on the niche cylinders online

Thanks

If you have your athena ported....You may need to have them replated. Niche can be bored, but your better off buying used oem.29d2a02d408402a7c92fca66b9245cee.jpg

^^^^niche aren't worth the cheap price imo unless your buying them to have work done to them.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

I'm starting to lean towards doing something with the athena cylinders since I have nothing into them. If I had to buy them I'd just get stock cylinders but I pretty much got the athenas for free. Vito's makes a sleeve for the athena cylinder which I think is a much better option than getting them replated. So I'm thinking if I get the sleeves put in and have them trail ported that should fix the issues people have with the athena cylinders and it should still make some decent power and I won't have a whole lot of money into them. I haven't been able to find any info on ported athenas though so I don't know if this is even a good idea

Edited by 13HemiRam

I say work with the athenas. Get em sleeved and ported, then when you're still not happy, sell them for way less than what you have in to them and buy driveline cylinders. And just to FYI, I have never rode a great set of athenas. I'd rather have a stock stroke/cylinder ported bike any day. A well built stock cylinder/stroke, ported bike can hang with 4ml stock cylinder/stroke bikes. I've got a 4ml and a stock stroke banshee. Both stock cylinders. The 4ml wins by about a bike length. But the stock stroke hangs just fine when duning.

Maybe I'll just sell the athena kit and my pwk's and get stock cylinders and carbs then. I shouldn't have much money, if any, into stock parts after selling mine. I just don't want plated cylinders, it's easier for me to get them bored/honed locally than send out for recoating

What exactly makes the athena cylinders so crappy? I don't know much about them or even 2 strokes in general, I'm coming from a bone stock 450 to a banshee so this is all new to me. I briefly had a banshee about 10 years ago that was pretty much stock and I wanted another one and ended up with this one (pretty much free) when I sold my camaro

Your Athena's are better then the niche, and that's not saying much. You could have the Athena's worked over, but then you're more money in to it then you would be just getting a set of nice stock cyls ported with all the supporting mods. Set a budget and call a few builders to see if you can come up with a plan.

Silly question, but are the athena cylinders in good condition? If so, you might just run them if you are only going to right a few times a year.

Otherwise, buy the used stock cylinders and have them ported.

Dumping $200 into the athenas for sleeves or $300 for plating and another $300 for porting is a waste.

The Driveline cylinders become a real option if you are wanting to buy a 4mil crank.  BUT you can still get the stock cylinders ported for 4mil also.

The athena cylinders are fairly new. Maybe 4-5 hours on them. I'm just afraid of the thin coating that flakes off and the cast pistons breaking. That's my only reason for wanting to take it apart. I kind of want this bike to just be something fun that I can get out a few times when I get an itch for speed or when the 450 and raptor guys start talking shit and hopefully shut them up with it. I ride a rzr900 most of the time, I'm just not into beating myself up ripping a 2 stroke around for hours at a time anymore