Snapped Cylinder to crankcase bolt

slanktapper

I tried the search but nothing came up? I can't be the only one that's done this....

I've found some videos about rethreading a stripped bolt hole (

) but it seems very sketchy doing this by hand, and I need to get what remains of that bolt out first.

I have a stripped bolt remover thing but I doubt I'm going to get enough torque on it to break it free considering it snapped the bolt?

So my questions are:

Is there any way that I can get that bolt out with damaging the existing threads?

Is there any way a professional can get that bolt out without damaging threads?

Should I just take this to a trusted mechanic?

Should I try to do this myself?

Is a helicoil the only solution to fix threads?

Any ballpark on cost for a mechanic?

So here's what remains: 

lkqnyall.jpg

from experience I can tell you that one of them titan extractors is probly the best thing to use from the get go before you bust the stud. they grip a large surface area and clamps down near the bottom. another thing you don't want to do is turn the case on its side and try to turn the stud out or youll likely be applying downward force as well which makes it more likely to break off if that makes sense. small amount of heat from propane or mapgas might not hurt either but I wouldn't go crazy in one localized spot. another thing about corroded studs is they often times take the case threads with them which is another good reason to use a small bit of heat. if the stud breaks the last thing to use is one of them extractors. they wedge in there and expand the broken piece making it near impossible to screw out. before you crack the cases, if you haven't already, I would probly weld something to the broken piece the best you can. let it cool down and then heat the case material around it

• Like 1