Ticking noise at idle *Video*

Just started up my bike to go for a ride and noticed its now making a ticking/clicking noise at idle. I didn't go out in the end.

I'm concerned... should i be?   In the second video when i kill the engine you can hear the noise a little prominently.

From the videos you have posted, I believe that you are hearing your aluminum labyrinth seal "clicking" between your two inside crank bearings. The video that confirms this best for me, is where you are rotating the flywheel by hand.

This is a common issue we see with factory crankshafts, where there is no o-ring located on the lab seal. Most aftermarket crankshafts have at least one, if not two o-rings installed to prevent the seal from moving side to side.

You can confirm this to be your issue by simply unbolting your reeds from the cylinder and rotate the flywheel by hand just like you did before. The crankcase will no longer be sealed and thus, put little to no pressure on the lab seal back and forth. If the clicking is now gone from removing the reeds , the good news is - it really is not hurting anything and a repair is not required immediately. However, to repair the issue, an o-ring should be installed on the lab seal.

If you remove the reeds and the clicking persists, I would recommend that you tear down and inspect for a damaged bearing on the crankshaft.

Good luck!

-Chris

• Like 1

Damn that motors clean!

how old is that motor / how long has it been running?    if the flywheel key and pick up is good hate to say it, but sounds more and more like it COULD be a bearing on its way out.

I've probably put about 15hrs on it since I've owned it. Not sure about the guy before me.

From the videos you have posted, I believe that you are hearing your aluminum labyrinth seal "clicking" between your two inside crank bearings. The video that confirms this best for me, is where you are rotating the flywheel by hand.

This is a common issue we see with factory crankshafts, where there is no o-ring located on the lab seal. Most aftermarket crankshafts have at least one, if not two o-rings installed to prevent the seal from moving side to side.

You can confirm this to be your issue by simply unbolting your reeds from the cylinder and rotate the flywheel by hand just like you did before. The crankcase will no longer be sealed and thus, put little to no pressure on the lab seal back and forth. If the clicking is now gone from removing the reeds , the good news is - it really is not hurting anything and a repair is not required immediately. However, to repair the issue, an o-ring should be installed on the lab seal.

If you remove the reeds and the clicking persists, I would recommend that you tear down and inspect for a damaged bearing on the crankshaft.

Good luck!

-Chris

Thanks for the detailed explanation Chris. I'll pull the cages out and see what happens.. fingers crossed its the seal.

Top man.

• 7 years later...

Hi, I have this same issue ticking and when I removed the reeds the ticking went away, I'm wondering if this was your problem?

if not the question would be for Cascade Innovations, do you know if the condition can cause other issues?

I just finished my brand new top end and I would love to not have to take everything apart so soon.

thanks for the info.

Stephane.