New throttle cable. Carb adjustment steps?

doug

Hi,

Put a new throttle cable on my banshee and need to know what steps to take to properly set the carb. (all jetting, needle & float height is fine)

1.  top of carb adjustments - purpose: to ensure both slides are operating at the same time?

2.  Idle screw - set idle.

3.  thumb throttle - to remove too much access play.

4.  sync carbs at idle - What to adjust if carbs are out of sync?

5.  sync carbs at 4500 rpm - What to adjust?

Thanks.

Edited by doug
  • Like 1

Sync both slides by eye by slightly moving your throttle until both lift at the same time, adjust by the adjusters on top of carbs. Make sure to tighten jamb nuts down when your done and re-check sync again after tightening them down. Adjuster on throttle unit takes up slack in the cable. You want some play but not too much. Sync with vacum gauge at idle, adjust idle screws to get both carbs pulling the same vacum.

I usually sync the the idle speed first while there is no tension on any of the throttle cable.  Then I adjust the tops. I take the throttle cover off and  use a 1/4 extension or small diameter socket to wedge in the throttle housing behind the arm that the cable attaches to. That way it holds the throttle slightly open and keeps the RPM constant as your going back and fourth from carb to carb making adjustments.

• Like 1

So with the throttle on (socket wedged) what are you adjusting on the carb?

That's when I adjust the top of the carb caps so i can sync them.

Then once done i now make sure when my thumb presses it WOT, both slides are all the way open in the bore. If not, the more open side will run lean.