Banshee top end tear down

arena314

Ok so I had horribly low compression in both cylinders on my 03. Both read under 100 psi so I decided its time for a tear down. I was never inside this banshee before so it was all new to me. Nothing unusual and everything came off pretty easy. Bone stock porting and bore it even looked like stock pistons to me. The rings were completely worn I'm surprised the bike still ran I'm going to send my cylinders out and have them bored ported and polished and throw some wiseco pistons in. My questions are what's the best way to clean the carbon off the domes? I'm keeping the stock head on it for now due to having other things to fix and have to keep the cost down a little. So what's the best way to clean the carbon off the stock head and also when removing the jugs some metal shavings came off and are laying on the case around where the fuel shoots up through the crank case into the cylinders what's the best way to clean that and how bad would it be if just a few of those shavings fell into the crank case? Lmk and sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance

Why would it take a shit? The crank is fine. It was fine before the tear down and its fine now that I'm inside the motor theres nothing wrong with it. I don't understand why you guys think I need a crank when thats not the reason it needed to be rebuilt anyway. It's just a top end rebuild. Never heard anyone say when your top end needs to be rebuilt then you also need to do a crank

You clean the debris by splitting the cases. While youre in there (since youre having your top end ported) it would be a great idea to have your crank welded and checked out considering the extra stress you will be putting on it. How do you know the crank is good? Did you check it? If so, how? Porting the cylinders and doing a rebuild with a 13 year old crank is exactly my definition of half assing shit. Do what you want, it isn't my bike nor my money.

• Like 1

Nobody is sayin you definatly need a crank, were sayin pull motor, split cases and have that crank verified that it is still good and true, then get it welded to prevent possible seperation, more so critical when you add porting and compression.

I rebuilt my motor a couple years ago, damn sure wasnt gonna slap a new top end on it without the crank being checked, everything LOOKED fine, come too find out both rods were bent and it had a bad bearing. Couldn't tell it had any issues at all. How do you think that would have held up if it wouldnt have gotten repaired properly?

Stock cranks will handle a shit load of power. If welded.

Yours may be fine, maybe not. Think of how old that thing is and how many millions of times it's made a reveloution, shit wears out. Theres no telling unless it's actually inspected properly. Definatly not a chance I would be willing to take, especially since your only out a hundred bucks or so and a little more time