Banshee top end tear down

arena314

Look I know what I should do but like you said the crank might do fine it might not you never know. I know a crank in a car is a bit different but my buddy had a gto with 25k miles stock crank pushed 10 pounds of boost through and had a 700 horse car and it was like that for over a year before he crashed it it was still going strong. The crank in my mustang has 186k on it with heads cams and lots of bolt ons it has atleast 80 more hp then stock and it does fine.

Look I don't have the time to let my bike sit for months I don't have all the time in the world and I have to have my bike ready and broken in by the end of next month. I work so I don't have alot of time in my day to work on my bike. I'm sure it'll be fine for the time being with porting. All I want to do is a top end rebuild there's no reason for me to think my crank is bad

Ok so I had horribly low compression in both cylinders on my 03. Both read under 100 psi so I decided its time for a tear down. I was never inside this banshee before so it was all new to me. Nothing unusual and everything came off pretty easy. Bone stock porting and bore it even looked like stock pistons to me. The rings were completely worn I'm surprised the bike still ran I'm going to send my cylinders out and have them bored ported and polished and throw some wiseco pistons in. My questions are what's the best way to clean the carbon off the domes? I'm keeping the stock head on it for now due to having other things to fix and have to keep the cost down a little. So what's the best way to clean the carbon off the stock head and also when removing the jugs some metal shavings came off and are laying on the case around where the fuel shoots up through the crank case into the cylinders what's the best way to clean that and how bad would it be if just a few of those shavings fell into the crank case? Lmk and sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance

You didn't ask anything concerning your crank huh? Simple minded type of fella aren't you.

If shavings made it that far, and you're asking how big of a deal is it if a few pieces were to be left in there. You don't see a problem, or possible failure?

sent from yo mammy house.

Look I don't have the time to let my bike sit for months I don't have all the time in the world and I have to have my bike ready and broken in by the end of next month. I work so I don't have alot of time in my day to work on my bike. I'm sure it'll be fine for the time being with porting. All I want to do is a top end rebuild there's no reason for me to think my crank is bad

The end of next month, you've got plenty of time, and why would your bike sit for months? It's the easiest motor out there to tear down and assemble. Obviously you can do what you want but most of us here are pretty thorough when it comes to this shit, do it right, do it once, why would anyone not want to do it that way? As far as decarbonizing the head, it's pretty fuckin simple to figure out. Hit it with a scotch brite pad, very fine steel wool, a wire brush, some contact cleaner, acetone, carb n choke cleaner, whatever. I've used all of these combinations at one time or another. It might not be the best method but I've never had any problems. I've also bead blasted them with really fine beads, that's probably not recommended though.  

The metal isn't from the crank its from when I pulled the jugs off the studs. It was a pain and the only way to get it off was to wiggle and wiggle which messed up the threads on the studs causing the shavings when you look at the studs you can see that metal was sheared off of them that's where the shavings are from

The metal isn't from the crank its from when I pulled the jugs off the studs. It was a pain and the only way to get it off was to wiggle and wiggle which messed up the threads on the studs causing the shavings when you look at the studs you can see that metal was sheared off of them that's where the shavings are from

But they could have fallen down into the cases right?

Yeah your fine. The crank won't even know that shit fell in.

No I'm not saying they did. The shavings are on the sides where the transfer ports would sit to suck in the fuel

don't worry about it already. These guys are being over cautious. I've seen cranks in 92 banshees still running.

If you take good care of it it'll last. Don't. Believe the hype.