I have decided 4mm stock bore dune port is plan...stock carbs, or 35s?

barry1me

$2k for a 4mm build including having them put it together with stock carbs

or

$650 for a agressive dune port, milled stock head, top end and timing plate.  

Im going to pull apart top end this weekend and take a look at crank condition with some feeler guages.  If crank looks ok Im not pulling engine apart to do it, if so then Im doing a 4mm build.

• Like 1

$2k for a 4mm build including having them put it together with stock carbs

or

$650 for a agressive dune port, milled stock head, top end and timing plate.

Im going to pull apart top end this weekend and take a look at crank condition with some feeler guages. If crank looks ok Im not pulling engine apart to do it, if so then Im doing a 4mm build.

You'll want to true and weld the stock crank.

The time and money invested in splitting the cases and working on the stock crank could go to a 4mil. There's no way I'd split the cases and not go 4mil.

Get a pro-mod trans as well.

ISO purple BHQ hat. Sent from the whoops.

• Like 1

You'll want to true and weld the stock crank.

The time and money invested in splitting the cases and working on the stock crank could go to a 4mil. There's no way I'd split the cases and not go 4mil.

Get a pro-mod trans as well.

Im trying to keep my cost down now and just do rebuild myself.  I have never rebuilt one, but Im fairly mechanical, I may try and see if someone locally would be willing to give me a hand.  Looks like running a ported stock top end with stock crank unwelded may not be the wisest choice.  If I knew I could make stock crank last 2 seasons (I only plan to go to silver lake to play around 2 times this year), then I would do a 4mm setup or cub setup in 2 years.  Im just trying to make my setup a budget fun build for mean time.  Im not looking to spend $2500 right now.

Edited by barry1me

Quit being a cheap ass. Pay once. Save twice. I'd run it how it is till you blow it up. Then go all out. You could gather used parts till you have everything you need. That'll save some coin, but good used parts aren't cheap.

• Like 2

Quit being a cheap ass. Pay once. Save twice. I'd run it how it is till you blow it up. Then go all out. You could gather used parts till you have everything you need. That'll save some coin, but good used parts aren't cheap.

probably what I will do...

You can always buy a junked engine and send it in. It'll reduce downtime, but it'll add about $600-$1k to your budget.

I actually thought about that.  Then have a spare engine.  Most likely I will take the plunge and do assembly myself and ship out cylinders and head to cam to get done.  Then pickup a HR 4mm crank.

OP, you're stubborn af!!

Cam only charges $250 to assemble and leak test your motor!!

I got a quote from him to basically build a 4 mil dune port using my entire motor shipped to him and shipped back to me.

I'm talking new clutch, new billet basket, pancake bearing, mattoon head with 2 sets of domes etc and it was only $2k ready to drop in.