Confused About Future Pipe Selection?

02Banshee88

Im wanting to get new exhaust in the future, but I know nothing about the brands or what each pipe will offer. Where I live there's mostly trails so I wouldnt think I'd need as much top end like if I was riding through fields and such, but I'd like a good education on pipes nonetheless. Between FMFs, Toomey's, and Pro Circuit, and DMC pipes, do y'all know the advantages/disadvantages, top and bottom end performance, HP/Torque difference, and pros/cons (LOTS OF ETC.) of each?

Thanks much! - A Banshee Noob

Edited by 02Banshee88

Is a spark arrestor required at any place you plan on riding?

Possibly. I'll say yes just to be safe. My buddies and I mainly ride in the woods behind each other's house, but we've been talking about riding at some local parks that have four wheeler and dirt bike trails. I'm thinking a spark arrestor would almost always be required in national park instances right?

Edited by 02Banshee88

Yea a spark arrestor is required for National Forests. There are screen style spark arrestors that trap hot carbon down to a certain size and there are others that are screen less and designed to break carbon up in to small enough particles.

Screen style spark arrestors also collect packing and oil. It makes for a nice mess to clean, and when it plugs up it will cause performance to drop off.  FMF Turbine Core 2's and Pro Circuits 296 silencers are both suppose to be screen free design.

DMC's 916 system uses closely spaced plates that are stacked on top of each other. This design wouldn't be to bad to clean because the plates are individual and not attached. It also has a large surface area so it wouldn't plug up as fast.

I've read some good reviews here on these. SLP has been a leader in the snowmobile market for a long time. They know their way around 2 strokes. Their Banshee pipes should be worth a look.

http://slp.cc/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=11&productID=1703

More info needed on your set up/mods.

IMO, fields and trails seems like two different uses.

If you're stock now I would say FMF or DMC. Get them used cheep.

Mods...

- K&N Air Filter w/ No Air Box Lid

- FMF Gold Series Fatty w/ Powercore Silencer

- Pilot Jets: 27.5 (were 30)

- Air Screw: 1.5 turns

- Needle Jets: 4th Notch

- Main Jets: 290

- Stock 26mm carbs

More info needed on your set up/mods.

IMO, fields and trails seems like two different uses.

If you're stock now I would say FMF or DMC. Get them used cheep.

Mods...

- K&N Air Filter w/ No Air Box Lid

- FMF Gold Series Fatty w/ Powercore Silencer

- Pilot Jets: 27.5 (were 30)

- Air Screw: 1.5 turns

- Needle Jets: 4th Notch

- Main Jets: 290

- Stock 26mm carbs

You already have the perfect pipe for your application.  I run 'em on my 4mil and chose them over a lot of others.

They work better than most, they tuck in better than almost all, the silencers are solidly mounted using 2 bolts so they stay put and support the entire exhaust system when you're bombing around and as a bonus.... you can buy the Turbine Core silencers if you need spark arrestors.

I've used CPI's, Toomey T-5, Paul Turner Mids -- I prefer the Fatty's hands down for real world application (non-drag race use).

Truth be told, they make more power bottom to top over the T-5's.  The main reason people comment about the awesome top end hit on Toomeys is because they have a big midrange hole so when it gets back on the pipe, you're thinking, Wow, what a hit! 
Actually, their crappy midrange loss of power is what they are feeling. lol IMHO.

Why are you wanting to switch pipes?

If you are looking for more power, look into a cut stock head, an adjustable timing plate and some reeds.

I was just asking if I would need better pipes for trail riding or if my FMFs would suffice because of their big bottom end power for quick turns and quick blasts around trees and tight corners. I ain't saying I don't like mine. Just wanted a better recommendation if there was for how I would be riding but I think I'll keep em now. Ill just have to get a Turbine core silencer if I decide to take it in the parks. Thanks everyone. Edited by 02Banshee88

Spend some money on other mods. Cut the head for money compression and better dome shape. Add some timing. Also better reeds. This will help greatly for the trails.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Okay man. What you recommend for timing? For reeds I was thinking the VF4s would be good.

Edited by 02Banshee88