Fat 1 1/8'' bars or standard 7/8''?

PaymentPlan

A few questions here to filter my choices on bar setups. I'll be running a +2+1 roll stem, pro taper bars, black ASV F3 shorty levers.

1. Fat 1 1/8" bars or standard 7/8"? Are those the only two sizes?

(Yes, only 2 sizes)

2. Clamps?

All kinds of clamps. Some are even taller so they act like risers, but with your Steering stem selection you could probably avoid that. If you decide on 1 1/8" bars, you need to make sure the clamp has the adaptor to go to your stem set up. You may even be able to just order the stem for fat bars.)

3. Why do peeps run crossbar? Why do they not run it?

(Crossbar is for taller bend bars. Keeps them from wallowing outward)

4. How do you select the best accommodating bend? I've read low bends work well for jumping.

(The best bend is the bend that puts the grips right where you feel comfortable. Sit on the bike in a neutral position. Hold your arms out to where they are comfortable. Try to envision your self turning. Does your hand and elbow get all bound up and is your shoulder in the way if you are leaning through a turn? Try standing like you're agressively riding. Is it tall enough?)

5. I don't think this is extremely significant, tell me if I'm wrong, but what grips are desirable?

(All preference. I dig a good ol fashioned waffle from Scott or whoever as long as it's quality.)

6. Also looking into hand guards, so any input on those would be great as well.

(Acerbis FTW)

I did some research into google. Typed in bansheehq handlebars and ect. Couldn't discover a thread that covered all of these points. Thank you.

Twist or thumb?

(If you came from a bike, get the twist. I grew up on bikes and it just feels more natural. Thumbs just feel goofy. Even on a snowmobile I get sick of the sore thumb.)

• Like 1

Just talked to Bill at BVC racing, GREAT guy to speak with. Seems like when I upgrade my stem, usually oversized clamps will come with it for the fat bar upgrade. Learned a little bit from this guy. Also he stated that where the bars start to taper, that's when the "Fatty" comes in. The 1''1/8 thickness is more in the center of the bars, then towards the outer section, the standard thickness is used.

That's so you get more strength on a lighter aluminum bar, but can still slide all the regular handlebar accessories back on.

A few questions here to filter my choices on bar setups. I'll be running a +2+1 roll stem, pro taper bars, black ASV F3 shorty levers.

(Yes, only 2 sizes)

2. Clamps?

All kinds of clamps. Some are even taller so they act like risers, but with your Steering stem selection you could probably avoid that. If you decide on 1 1/8" bars, you need to make sure the clamp has the adaptor to go to your stem set up. You may even be able to just order the stem for fat bars.)

4. How do you select the best accommodating bend? I've read low bends work well for jumping.

(The best bend is the bend that puts the grips right where you feel comfortable. Sit on the bike in a neutral position. Hold your arms out to where they are comfortable. Try to envision your self turning. Does your hand and elbow get all bound up and is your shoulder in the way if you are leaning through a turn? Try standing like you're agressively riding. Is it tall enough?)

5. I don't think this is extremely significant, tell me if I'm wrong, but what grips are desirable?

(All preference. I dig a good ol fashioned waffle from Scott or whoever as long as it's quality.)

(Acerbis FTW)

I did some research into google. Typed in bansheehq handlebars and ect. Couldn't discover a thread that covered all of these points. Thank you.

Twist or thumb?

(If you came from a bike, get the twist. I grew up on bikes and it just feels more natural. Thumbs just feel goofy. Even on a snowmobile I get sick of the sore thumb.)

Thanks. Seems like fat bars mid bend will be my choice.

(Yes, only 2 sizes)

2. Clamps?

(Acerbis FTW)

Twist or thumb?

Correct me if I'm worng here, but if your goal is to get your bars taller by using different clamp setups, isn't that a cheap way to do it? Vs having the correct stem? That's what I've picked up from opinions about wheel spacers, and 3"/2" wheel offset to cheaply gain some width. Maybe this is different, idk.

Correct me if I'm worng here, but if your goal is to get your bars taller by using different clamp setups, isn't that a cheap way to do it? Vs having the correct stem? That's what I've picked up from opinions about wheel spacers, and 3"/2" wheel offset to cheaply gain some width. Maybe this is different, idk.

Wheel spacers are not good.

A longer stem with antivibe is better than some adapter.

Why are you half assing everything on your 10mil build?

Ive tried flexbars.. kind of mixed feelings on them maybe im just not used to them and the flex they give when riding...

a solid block riser is a cheap solution but if your buying an anti vibe stem.. you may as well go with the lenght you want / need.

HOWEVER.... I actuallly shopped only for either a stock length or +1... I had plans to run ROX PIVOT risers.. the fact I was able to fine tune the angle of my bars with 2 pivot points instead of the 1 pivot point at the stem was great... (1 pivot point at the stem and 2nd pivot point at the bars)

my bars are pivoted towards me at the stem but pivoted "upwards" at the 2nd point

When I first got them I hated them. I figured I was going to end up selling them. Now I love them. After an honest 5 good rides I grew to like them and get used to them. Now a normal bike feels so violent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Your Roll stem should come standard with 1 1/8" clamps. I would double check this when you place your order.

Bar bend is going to be a personal comfort decision.

Just my observations, guys with broad wide shoulders seem to prefer bars with a straighter shape and angle, like a 14 degree bend versus a 15.

I'm more barrel chested and don't have wide shoulders. I prefer a 15 degree bend and have even cut a 1/2" of the ends of some of my bars to improve comfort.

I'm a thumb throttle guy all the way.

Your Roll stem should come standard with 1 1/8" clamps. I would double check this when you place your order.

Bar bend is going to be a personal comfort decision.

Just my observations, guys with broad wide shoulders seem to prefer bars with a straighter shape and angle, like a 14 degree bend versus a 15.

I'm more barrel chested and don't have wide shoulders. I prefer a 15 degree bend and have even cut a 1/2" of the ends of some of my bars to improve comfort.

I'm a thumb throttle guy all the way.

Bill at BVC racing said the same thing about the bigger clamps coming with the stem. I'll try cr mid bend. Edited by controls77