Rebuild after broken reed

nrakovec

My banshee has the old style V-force reed valves (i think they are the original or 2's, still has carbon fiber petals) and this weekend at the dunes, one of the petals completely broke off. The engine still ran at mid-low rpms so I got it back to camp. I'm ordering new reeds, but I'm wondering if I should do I top end on it since the petal went through the engine? I was first going to do a compression check and was thinking of taking the intake/exhaust pipes off and pull the plug to take a look at the bore, pistons, and rings to see if they are damaged or scratched up. I did some searching and couldn't really find any info on this. Is it common if the reed breaks for it to just go straight through the cylinder, sit in the cylinder for a bit and cause damage, sit in the crank case or a bit of all of that? Any one have any experience with this?

Thanks!

After talking to some people, I think I'm going to pull the head and make sure the top end looks good and there aren't any pieces still in there and that the rings aren't sticking. It seems like one of the big advantages of the carbon fiber petals is that they are designed to not harm the cylinder if they go through. Maybe this summer when I have time, I'll look at the bottom end.