Helmets Are Life Savers!

bansheelover

well id say a few years ago i was at my cousins house and he had a honda trx 200

just a light little thing so we went riding at the gravel pits near by. we were having a great time climbing the hills until i was the idiot showing of without a helmet. i was climbin a pretty steep hill and i was beginning to get stuck so i let off the gas and started to roll back down. THEN (here comes the smart part) i decided to punch the throttle half way down. The front end lifted like a feather and the center of the handlebars landed in the middle of my face. My broken nose bled all the way back to my cousins house, across the street to the neighbours house (my aunt or uncle wernt home) and the long 15min drive to the hospital. After i broke my nose, cracked the bone underneath my eye, damaged some nerves on the side of my head and a reconstructive surgery on my face, lets just say im one lucky f*ckin kid to be here today.

Hope this will knock some sense into the guys who feel they do not need helmets.

btw... i never even leave the yard without my helmet now... it only takes one time to change your mind, but you may not always get a second chance.

Have fun and be safe guys....

Matt

According to US law a helmet at a minimum has to meet the current DOT helmet standard. These are revised about every 5 years. Now if a helmet is Snell rated it has better protection than a plain DOT rating. Snell tests to a higher standard than the DOT standard. Snells standards are revised evry five years as well. Helmet manufacturers must meet the DOT standard but are not required to test to the Snell standard. The Snell testing is completely voluntary. Personally I would always buy a helmet that has the Snell approval on it as it will give you the most protection. Also there is a sub catagory for helmet ratings, the M and SA ratings. M is basically for motorcycling. The SA rating is for motorsports where flame retardancy is required and will cost more for the same helmet due to this requirement. Other than the flame retardancy they basically are the same as far as protection goes. Typically pricing has more to do with the construction of the helmet (how light it is typically). Also helmets are made for one incident only. Once it has been hit hard the helmet should be destroyed. Dropping a helmet can substantially reduce it's protection capibility. So take care of your helmet and it will take care of you. You should also replace your helmet every so often as wear and tear will take it's toll on it.

Wheatchex

People asked me after I wrecked if my helmet saved my head from getting hit by anything. Honestly I don't know, and I glad to say that. Either I didn't get hit in the head or hit my head on any rocks or parts of the bike (doubtful) or my helmet did its job.

Also when fitting a helmet too small and too big are bad news. Too big, and it can come off when/if you wreck, and it can also slide all over your head causing damage etc. Too small will expose your chin. The helmet should be below your chin about an inch or so when done up properly. I had a gash in my cross bar pad from where my helmet hit it right after I bought my banshee, and miscalculated a jump. Glad I had it on both times I've made contact with that cross bar.

I'd never ride without a helmet, to many variables can come in to play,

When I wecked earlyier this year, I am pretty sure my helmet saved me.

I cant remember hitting the ground or anything, but 6th gear WOT, bike flipping frontwards and bouncing over ya - i am pretty sure my helmet came in to play somewhere there.

Best 21st present I got

The last helmet I had (now replaced..) has a gouge out of it from where my head struck a branch on a tree.. I was riding the trails and saw the first straight away in a long time so I took my opportunity and at about 3rd gear I noticed 2 trees I had to fishtail between to turn on the trail.. bad news. But im sure glad I was wearing that helmet, if I had that gouge in my head I sure wouldnt be here.. :unsure:

I had a ZX-9r in Oct. 00 I was out riding with a bunch of my buddys and crashed. I was running pretty fast, well over a 100. Needless to say the bike was totaled my leather suit was shreded, and I had a big crack in my helmet. I was knocked out for 3 days got 32 staples in my back and 27 in my head with a big rag head like bandage on my head because I had a cracked scull . I was in the hospetal for 12 days after that. To this day I havn't felt any pain at all other that my back hurts every once in awhile. I was lucky very luck, the good Lord was looking out for me and the helmet saved my life. Put on the helmet it helps !! Oh, and to this day I still don't remember any of it, not even getting on the big, riding it or anything.

WEAR YOUR HELMETS GUYS ITS A LIFE SAVER!!!!!!!!!!