where to find yamaha piston rings

JasonB

I have seen posts on here where people talk about finding yamaha rings to re-ring their stock top end for 20 bucks (two packs of Yamaha rings for $20 total).

Cheapcycleparts and bikebandit are showing $39 for what i think is only one pair of Yamaha rings (would need two orders to get the 4 i need if i have that right).

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2006-yamaha-banshee-350-special-edition-yfz350sev/o/m145316#sch523512

even this ebay listing would be about 50 bucks for rings and from what i see arent even Yamaha (WSM?). 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201384991927?item=201384991927&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

You guys find rings anywhere special that wont cost almost 100 bucks for me to throw new rings in my rehoned top end? Still on stock bore 

They've never been $20 for 2 sets of piston rings. Further more your trying to re ring a set of stock pistons? Are the pistons and bores within spec? Should really check before you waste any $ on rings. It's likely need a bore job and new set of pistons.. the news banshees in the country are about to be 10 years old.

• Like 1

Did you do a compression test?

My 02's motor is bone stock.

Many, many hours since 2002.

I've put at least 100 gallons of fuel thru the motor since 2011.

Cold, she still kicks 120psi at sea level.

Cold she starts after a few kicks.

After she's warm, she'll start first kick every time.

If you're not porting, boring and welding the crank, leave it together and ride that motor into the ground.

Enjoy it, learn it, learn how to tune for maximum bolt on power and save your money for a proper 4mil build.

A full bolt on Banshee has too much power for the stock suspension.

My next bolt on mod is have the stock head cut and rechambered for maximum efficient combustion.

I focus on improving handling and controls before more power.

At least that's how I roll...

• Like 1

thanks for the feedback guys. I am supposed to be pulling the motor for a refresh which includes leak down and compression test before it comes apart. I am planning to have the crank welded by Precision Powersports here locally and i was going to have the cylinders checked to make sure they are still within spec. My goal was to get the crank welded and throw some rings and a hone at the top end while its apart. This is my first banshee and i dont know if i want a 4mil or if some basic bolt ons will be enough, but i know a welded crank is a must no matter where i go from here. I want to learn the bike since its my first Shee. My Elka stage3's and long travel Alba A Arms are all purchased already, just trying to prep the motor for adding some compression and timing to it  

wrote this response below to strm trprs post but its gone now.

my brother owned an ATV shop for a few years and is pretty comfortable tearing into banshee motors. We were just looking to have the crank welded, ad a timing plate and coolhead with domes to get the compression up around 150psi. I was trying to keep things 'mild' for now since its a new to me bike and i dont really want some 80hp quad (atleast right now). We were going to check the pistons and cylinders to see if they were even worth reusing before i bought rings and other stuff, a bore and forged pistons arent a big deal i was just trying to get the crank welded and do a few mods on the cheap. If i start looking at porting and tranny mods it will turn into a 4mil build with way too many extra parts i didnt want to do yet. Thats all. 

I had seen posts on here about people having their cranks come apart with stock banshees just running sand paddles and pipes so i was opting for crank welding and some small mods prior to our glamis trip in February. We have access to all kinds of retailer discounts from companies like Magnum and WPS etc which makes most of the parts i need 25% cheaper to get.