Where Are The Shift Forks?

0Banshee1

The shift forks are buried deep within the engine cases. Id check out the shifter linkage first, its found on the clutch side of the engine. Drain the oil and antifreeze and take of the clutch cover. The shift linkage is down low and towards the rear of the engine. Find the shift shaft, its the long shaft that your shift lever bolts to, the shift shaft goes through the engine case and comes out on the clutch side of the engine, at the end of this shift shaft is your shift linkage. Refer to a shop manual to inspect your shift linkage. If the linkage checks out ok, then you could be looking at bent forks. Replacing bent shift forks is prolly the most labor intensive job you can do, like I said, they are inside your case, so you'll need to pull the engine out of the frame and split the case. Not hard, just time consuming.

meat where is the shift linkage, you told me to check the shift linkage before I check the shift forks.  Let me know something, thanks!

Ok buddy, lets look at some pictures. First of all, do you know where to find all the best Banshee pictures on the net ?? The Banshee Zone of course !! :D There's pictures of everything Banshee on the banshee zone somewhere amongst the pages B).

Ok, the shift linkage is what your looking for. This problem actually happens quite often, the shift linkage mates up with the shift star. On the shift star are little pins that the shift linkage uses to rotate the shift star. When the shift star rotates.... it changes what gear your transmission is in. 1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear etc etc. The shift linkage is located at the end of your shift shaft. Your gear shift lever is attached to the shift shaft. Follow me so far ? When you move the shift lever with your toe, it moves the shift shaft, which moves the shift linkage and rotates the shift star, the rotating shift star, moves the internal parts(shift drum&forks) that change what gear your in. Ok..... so now that you have a basic understanding about how your transmission shifts through the gears, lets focus on the possible cause of your shifting troubles. What happens sometimes is the shift linkage pops off the shift star, or it gets jammed or what-have-you. Simply look at your shift linkage and compare it the pictures in this post. I always seem to have a hard time putting into words how the shift linkage is supposed to mate up to the shift star pins, so just look at the pictures and compare.

Ok, so where's this shift linkage part you ask ?? Its found under the clutch cover on the right hand side of the engine. You'll need to remove your kickstarter, footpeg and coolant line. Gently wiggle off the clutch cover, there's a big ol' gasket under the cover and if your careful you can re-use this gasket. When you get the clutch cover off it should look something like this........

clutch7.jpg

In this picture the clutch basket has been removed, you should see a big ol' clutch basket on your engine.

Now find the shift shaft\linkage, its right under the kickstarter shaft.

clutch9.jpg

Here's a closup of what your looking for.....

clutch11.jpg

And here's a shot of the shift shaft with the shift linkage on the end, removed from the engine......

clutch13.jpg

And finally here's the shift star with the shift linkage out of the way...

clutch12.jpg

Now im NOT gaurenteeing the shift linkage is your problem, but its a hellava lot easier to inspect than the shift forks.

BTW, is your shift lever mounted onto the shift shaft securely ?