When to change a water pump?

I just had a top end built and have never had a water pump issue that I know of. But when is everyone changing there pumps? Should I just wait till it goes out or just replace everything since the rebuild and be gone with it? Looking to put the Mull Billet Max Flow Impeller along with Billet Drive Gear

Its pretty easy. Just pull the clutch cover off and the gear will be on the backside. Remove it and the impeller will come out the oppsite side. replace the seal and your new parts and back together it goes. I also recommend a water pump cover with a drain, makes it a lot easier to recover most of your coolant.

• Like 1

Make sure you put the seal in the correct way, it is labeled coolant on one side of it.

Also the new Yamaha bearing is a little different, it has a plastic seal on one side.

The research I did the plastic side should face the oil, it acts as a filter to keep the clutch and transmission debris out while still allowing oil to lubricate the bearing. 

• Like 1

Make sure you put the seal in the correct way, it is labeled coolant on one side of it.

Also the new Yamaha bearing is a little different, it has a plastic seal on one side.

The research I did the plastic side should face the oil, it acts as a filter to keep the clutch and transmission debris out while still allowing oil to lubricate the bearing. 

I noticed that, I tired putting the seal towards the oil and it wouldn't seat all, so I turn it around and it seated just fine. I changed out all parts with new stuff since it was 10yrs old. Man that old water pump looked like it was really to explode anytime, glad I changed everything out. I ruined my gasket, taking the whole cover off.