best pistons to go with?

Need to buy pistons and just looking for advice on what to get. Had vitos superstock pistons before which talking with him said they are cut to change port timing and adds about 8hp. And hes like 4 months out on being able to have any for sale. My cylinders are having to be bored to 65.5 to clean up and have had port work done by previous owner. I know thats pushing the max but would like to just keep them for now. Dont want to spend a bunch atm (eventually want to invest a lot in a nice build but just like to get it back on the trail right now). Are there any out there that are cut and comparable to what the superstock do. So far im seeing to just go with overbore stock cut wisecos.

I just had my motor ported and polished and that's what the guy who built my motor used was overbore wisecos. And my shee screams now man. Not saying it's the best choice because I don't know that for sure, but it's definitely a great one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had my motor ported and polished and that's what the guy who built my motor used was overbore wisecos. And my shee screams now man. Not saying it's the best choice because I don't know that for sure, but it's definitely a great one!

Thats probably what ill end up with. And seeing some people had issues with the vitos superstock.Just curious whaf are you bored out to? I liked the way it ran as it was set up. Cant remember wheather vitos said they took from the bottom end and gave more on top or vice/versa.

Thats probably what ill end up with. And seeing some people had issues with the vitos superstock.Just curious whaf are you bored out to? I liked the way it ran as it was set up. Cant remember wheather vitos said they took from the bottom end and gave more on top or vice/versa.

Mines bored .08 over, I'm prolly wrong but I believe it's like 66mm or so..but yeah I don't think you can go wrong with the wisecos going off my build. They won't let you down!

IMO, sidestep the "SS" (aka, ramped crown) pistons.  They don't add 8hp and they do cause issues with squish in the head chamber.  Ramping was typically done as an R&D technique only, before more porting was done.  Not normal to "have porting" and have those ramped pistons in there.  You might want to share more details and get some measurements on the cylinder to know what durations you have. 

As far as pistons, likely any will work fine for you but we typically recommend a casted piston over a forged like Wiseco for mild builds.  The higher silica content in the pistons gives them better wear characteristics and more uniform thermal expansion to resist cold seizures. 

Brandon

Mull Engineering

• Like 1

speaking of pistons, i dont mean to jack this thread but are porting the pistons skirts wortth the time? is there any difference or does it just weaken the skirt?

Depends on the piston. Some can benefit from a slight massaging of the windows. The new Driveline Weiscos already have optimal window placement so there is nothing left to gain on those. The forged WSM's aren't bad out of the box, but there is a little touch up you can do. I would reccomend against going nuts and trying to make the windows all huge because in the end you start taking away from the integrity of the piston and weaken it.

There are other little tricks like little boost holes and what not that I have messed with. The results only showed in reliability though.

IMO, sidestep the "SS" (aka, ramped crown) pistons.  They don't add 8hp and they do cause issues with squish in the head chamber.  Ramping was typically done as an R&D technique only, before more porting was done.  Not normal to "have porting" and have those ramped pistons in there.  You might want to share more details and get some measurements on the cylinder to know what durations you have. 

As far as pistons, likely any will work fine for you but we typically recommend a casted piston over a forged like Wiseco for mild builds.  The higher silica content in the pistons gives them better wear characteristics and more uniform thermal expansion to resist cold seizures. 

Brandon

Mull Engineering

Thanks for the info. Im pretty positive the preowner saying he had some porting done. But been a long time ago. I know it looked like there had been some grinding done in them. But dont have them atm. At shop. Plan on asking them what it looks like has been done to them. But im sure ill do the wisecos or wsm. Still reading on things. Want to get the best shit for setup and quality. So i guess vitos full of shit about his claim of 8hp? Guess theres no dyno results to back it up?