Extended axle: really worth it?

So, I've got some money burning a hole in my pocket. I was checking out extended axles and was wondering if it would be worth it for me? I ride a mix of dune and trails. Trails aren't tight, so the extra width won't be an issue. But lately with school and work, I seem to get in the wind about once a month. I just purchased some elka stage 4s and I have +2+1 A-arms and switching from a +6 swinger to a +4. I'm curious if the wider axle is a night and day difference like the swinger and shocks are? Plus since I don't get out as much as I like, I don't want to put money where it won't be felt. I'd rather save the coin and put it towards a serval. Bike stats: dune port, +4 timing, 28mm pwk, 19cc domes (run 100 octane), VF3, FMF fattys. I'm about 6'1" and weigh 225lbs. If that matters. Thanks for the help guys!

gforce axle is cheap. Id do it. Id make that bike ride and handle like you want rather than spending money on a serval.

Plus if money is tight, dont get anything. Put that towards a top end or other repairs/maintenance needed so there's little to no down time.

He also said he was saving for a serval so I figured future . I've done a ton of testing on CPI and they can work well on a wide variety of porting styles . I've never done testing on slp so j wouldn't recommend what I dont know. Are the slps working well for you ? Are they outperforming CPI on duneport motors?

I ride just dunes and have found stock width in the rear and +2 up front to be my favorite so far. I had a lsr adjustable and adjusted it back and forth a lot playing with width to fit down the tree shots. At stock width (34" axle) bike is still plenty sturdy on side hills.

+2 with yfzr hubs is exactly 50'' outside wheel to outside wheel.....my set-up

this measurement is with standard Douglas racing rims with the tires on it

Do the front hubs work on banshee spindals as well or just the rears have the same splines?

that im not sure of.....i'll go out on a limb and say no. i think yfzr hubs have bigger bearings. i only have the rears on mine.....bought em off some gay dude in Ohio :)

^^getting ya back for putting cock surker on the box ya basterd!!!!! LMFAO

^ huh?

I would think with a little looking around, you could find the correct bearing size for it to work, whats wrong with banshee hubs and yfzr calipers? seems to be a popular swap........

Already got the 450 calipers and what not up front, plus +3 +1 LT arms, just curious if there was another hub option. Starting to get hard to find OEM banshee hubs in cherry condition from inner bearing taper to the studs.

I ride just dunes and have found stock width in the rear and +2 up front to be my favorite so far. I had a lsr adjustable and adjusted it back and forth a lot playing with width to fit down the tree shots. At stock width (34" axle) bike is still plenty sturdy on side hills.

Would agree at the OR dunes for sure.  I bounce off a lot of shit with my stock rear width in the trees.  At the track I'd be 50 up front 49.5 rear if its sanctioned.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll be purchasing the axle tonight. Going to stick with the stock hubs for now. How much wider would it be with yfz hubs Vs stock banshee? I ride open trails and dune in glamis, so trees and getting stuck aren't an issue.

I plan on going serval when it's time for a top end rebuild, or when the cranks goes out. The bike had FMFs when I bought it. I was thinking of going slp in the future. I love the stump pulling low end I get with 4 pokes, but love the top end of the banshee. I was going serval to get better mid and still have good top. I'm shooting for the most torque I can get. Sleeper, could that still be possible with CPI? I LOVE the sound of them, but want to get a pipe that has strong mid. The FMFs seem to do well with the mid and don't fall off that much in the top.

Damn! I didn't expect pics! Thanks zilla! Ordered the tusk axle just now. Should I replace anything while I'm back there? The info says it uses all my stock stuff, but should I replace bearings while I'm at it? And zilla, did the yfz hubs make a noticible difference for you?

• Like 1